Prologue

I was sitting in a dank, dreary cell. There were rusted iron bars in between me and a way out. My hands were a mess of scars, cuts, and bruises. As for me, I felt inexplicably awful. My stomach was eating its way out of my body, my seemingly broken leg was a painful, heavy, mutilated disarray, and I felt like I hadn't slept in decades.

"-else do we need to release that cataclysmic entity?" echoed a cracked voice.

I tried to heave myself up, but my leg declined. There must be a way to get past the iron bars, for I did not want to meet the host of that voice.

"The soul of an adolescent elf!" hissed an ugly, high-pitched tone.

"Ah, yes," said the enlightened, scratchy voice "And I believe we have one right here in Hjoydelwim Castle!"

"You should go get him, master!" bellowed a deep tone.

"I will do things on my own time!!" he hollered back sternly.

My heart stopped. I suddenly recognized my pointed ears more. He was going to take my soul! I clutched my arms as if to stop the voice.

"148D, 149D,150D..." his voice counted, edging closer.

I grabbed a nearby sharp rock and threw it at the bar. After barely making a dent, I threw again.
After a minute of counting and banging, it ended. His shadow loomed over my hands, creating a silhouette that radiated evil.
I would have looked up, but I couldn't make myself.
Then, a cold, clammy hand reached onto my head. Just the mere connection with me and him sent an intense chill down my spine.
Then all went dark, I was not me, and life was not part of my vocabulary.