Chapter FIVE

My mother and I showed up at Mission School's administrative office the Monday after my arrival in sunny California,  I was more than a little taken aback to be confronted with a six-foot Jesus hanging on a crucifix behind the secretary's desk

When my mom and I walked through the school's wide front archway into the courtyard round which the mission had been constructed,  I didn't see a single person who looked as if he or she didn't belong there.

It as beautiful,  restful place  - especially for a building that was so old,  and had to have seen so much death.
I couldn't under it,  where were all the ghost? Maybe there where afraid to hang around the place.  I was little afraid looking up at the crucifix.  I mean,  I've got nothing against religious art,  but was it really necessary to portray the crucifixion so realistically,  with so many scabs and all?

Apparently I was not alone in thinking so,  since a boy who was slumped on a couch across from the one where my mom and I had been instructed  to wait noticed the direction  of my gaze and said,  'he's supposed to weep tears of blood if any girl  ever graduates from here a virgin.' I couldn't  help but letting out a little bark of laughter.  My mom glared at me.  The secretary,  a plump middle-aged woman who looked deeply offended only rolled her eyes,  and said,  tiredly,  'Oh,  Adam.'

Adam,  a good looking  boy about my age,  looked at me with a perfectly serious face,  'It's true, 'he said,  gravely, ' It happened last year,  my sister.' He dropped his voice conspiratorially,  'She's adorable.'
I laughed again
I priest came out and said,  'Mrs Ackerman, what's pleasure to see you again.  And this must be Susannah Simon.  Come in,  won't you ?' He Ushered  us intihis office,  then paused,  and said to the boy in the couch,  'Oh, no, Mr McTavish.  Not on the first day of a drand-new semester.'
Adam shrugged.....

Father Dominic - that was his name-sat and chatted with us for a while,  asking me how I liked California so far.  I said I like fine,  especially the ocean.  We had spent most of the day before at the beach,  after I'd finished unpacking.  I had found my sunglasses,  and even though it was too cold to swim,  I had a great time just laying on a blanket on the beach , watching  the waves.

I found that I loved the, the smell of it,  the seaweed that washed up  on shore,  the feel of the cool sand. Father Dominic expressed his sincere hope that I'd be happy at the Mission Academy,  and went on to explain  that even though I wasn't catholic, I shouldn't feel unwelcome at Mass. 

Father Dominic  was old,  but what you'd probably call spry,  and he struck me as sort of handsome I. His white collar  and black robes - I mean, handsome for a sixty-year-old.  He had white hair,  and very blue eyes,  and well-maintained fingernails.  I don't know many priests but this one seem cool. After father Dominic had described the various offences  I could get expelled for. He asked me if I had any questions.  I didn't. Fine then. 'I'll say goodbye to you,  Mrs Ackerman,  and walk Susannah to her first class. All Right , Susannah?'

I thought I was kind of weird that the principal , who probably has a lot to do,  was taking time out to walk me  to my First Class,  but I didn't say anything about it.  I just picked up  my coat - a black wool trench. My mom kissed me goodbye,  and reminded me to find sleepy at three,  since he was in charge of driving me home- onky she didn't call him sleepy.  Once again,  a woeful lack  of putting kicked transport meant that I had to bump rides to and from school  with my stepbrothers.

Then she was gone,  and father Dominic was walking me across the courtyard after having instructed Adam to wait for him. 'No problem,  Was Adam's response.  He leered at me behind the father's back. It isn't often I get leered at by boys my own age.  I hope he was in My class.  My mother's wishes for my social life just might be realized at last.

On the other side of the breezeway  were the stone benches for people to sit on while they enjoyed solitary contemplating of  the courtyards slendour,  the doors to the classrooms and steel lockers were built right into the adobe with.  One of those lockers,  Father Dominic explained to me,  was mine.  He had the combination with him.  Did I want to put away my coat?

I had been surprised when I'd wakened Sunday morning, I hadn't seen Jesse since that first day I'd moved in.  It had definitely been my mom who'd shut my windows.  Anyway,  when I'd walked outside to he t I told mom's car, I'd found that is was freezing out again,  and that was why I was wearing the wool coat.  Father Dominic tokd me that my locker was number 273 and he seemed content to let me find it myself,  he'd asked me how I was getting along with Max,  the Ackerman's dog .....
I strolled down the open corridor,  watching the numbers on the beige locker doors.  Unlike the ones back home,  these lockers were not graffitied,  or dented,  or plastered with stickers from heavy metal bands.  I guess students on the West Coast took more pride in their school's appearance than back home.

271,  272.  I stumbled ti a halt.  In front of locker number 237 stood a ghost. I wasn't Jesse,  either.  It was a girl,  dressed very much like I was,  only with long blonde hair, instead of brown,  like mike e, she alsohaf an extremely unpleasant look on her face. 'What,'she said, to me,  'are you looking at?'And then speaking to  someone behind me,  she demanded, 'This is who they let in to take my place? I am so sure.'

OK, I admit it.  I freaked out.  I sound. Around,  and found myself going up at Father Dominic , who was squinting down at me curiously. 'Ah,'he said,  when he saw my face.  'I thought so.'