Chapter 28: Parting the Red Sea

Hey everyone!  Due to a contract with Amazon, this is the last chapter I'll be able to post on Wattpad!  HOWEVER, the entire novel is available on Amazon for only $2.99, RIGHT NOW!!!  Everyone who has read it is raving about it so far, and I know that you will love it too.  Check the comments or my author sidebar for the link!

***

The back garden was as we left it when we returned, scores of red figures waiting on every fragment of open space, their faces tracking us as we approached.

"Well, what do you have to say?" asked Oakley, her back to the door, her voice light and unaware of what waited just behind her.

"Sorry, what?" I asked, tearing my eyes away from the outside. By the voice's words, I had assumed the figures would be gone.

But that also meant I believed a voice that no one else could hear, about beings no one else could see, whose existences were either driving me mad or a result of madness.

"You can at least pretend to be a gentleman, Caleb," she said, with a small laugh. "I walked you home, I'd expect at least a thank you."

"Thank you, then, for helping me get back safe."

"You're welcome. See? That's proper manners. And I'll have what you asked me for in your room soon."

She touched my nose, and I jerked back.

"Jeez, stop being so touchy. You act like someone's waiting around the corner to grab you. And the way you acted downstairs—did you hit your head on the fall? It makes me nervous when you act like this. Heck, I almost feel like I get nervous before you even start acting this way."

"Don't worry about it," I said, then I paused. "It's just a bit strange when you know something is going on, but you can't tell what."

"You're talking about sight?"

"Sure."

"So what's it like, then, being blind?"

"Well, you notice a lot more things than you did when you could see. Things you normally wouldn't pay attention to, or that might have slipped you notice, now pull your entire attention. Sounds, smells, other senses."

"Ok, well I think I can understand that, or at least I can try to. Anyway, it's time for me to go. My mother will be furious already," she said, opening the door. Outside, the red figures split directly down the center, making a noise like hot steel dipped in water, half heading left and the other half right. They flowed over each other, departing, their glow fading with each step until only darkness was left in the garden as Oakley stepped outside.

"And Caleb, I know there's something you're not telling me. And I'm going to find out."

Then the door closed behind her, and I watched her fire bobbing away until it too disappeared, my hand idly scratching Shankey's neck.

"What's going on?" I asked, and he whined. "What the hell is going on? You probably like it better here, being able to stay warm inside with three square meals and all, but I'm seriously starting to miss the trailer park. And you're starting to get fat. Don't think you can hide it from me."

His tail thumped against my leg, and I sighed.

"We're going to need some answers soon, Shankey. Hell, at this point we deserve them." I walked back to the cellar door, pushing it open with the palm of my hand.

If Kingston had taught me anything, it was that it's best to confront a bully early on, before he gets a chance to sink his fingers in deep.

And I had one hell of a bully.