9

Jack didn't hear Amy calling for Charlie at first. He was in his own world. The twisted world of pain and suffering. Of torture and blood and broken bones. His world where he is a monster and it feels great.

He got bored of using the knife, so he bit the soft flesh of Charlie's stomach. Charlie finally cried out. The volume startled Jack. He'd never heard a yelp that loud, not from any of the animals he hurt. He jumped up and wrapped his hands around Charlie's throat. Her cries strangled. Her eyes grew wide and scared as he squeezed. It made him happy to see her looking so afraid.

"Charlie!" Amy's far away voice said.

Jack let go of Charlie's throat. She gasped, tears ran down her cheeks. Her vision was blurry. He grabbed her hair and put his face close to hers.

"You better keep your mouth shut," he warned. "If she comes after you, I'll kill her too."

A new fear stabbed Charlie's gut. She didn't want him to hurt Amy like he was hurting her. She tried her best to nod her head, afraid that if she used her voice, he would squeeze her neck again.

"Don't move," he said.

Jack moved away from Charlie. She laid still and quiet. She wished with all her might that she could be anywhere else. Amy kept calling. Her voice coming nearer. Maybe she should scream for Amy to run so she didn't get too close? Just as she thought it, she felt something thick and wide cover her mouth.

Jack patted the duct tape over Charlie's lips and jaws. He thought he was brilliant for having the foresight to bring it down here ahead of time, so it would be handy if he needed it. He thought he might need it to keep her from running away, but she seemed too scared to run. His biggest concern now was keeping her quiet.

Amy was right outside calling Charlie. Charlie whimpered. Jack pulled his knife out and pressed it against Charlie's cheek. He pressed hard and Charlie felt the blade slice her skin.

"Shut up or I'll kill you now," he warned in a whisper that slithered into Charlie's ear with his awful breath. "And I'll kill your family, too."

Charlie's eyes grew wide. She believed Jack could do it. He was bad. She suddenly found herself wishing for Amy to go away. Just go away and let her die so no one else would have to. Then Amy's voice faded away, and even though she was relieved Amy would be safe, she was also terrified to hear it go.

Jack's cruel chuckle broke the dead silence. They were alone. Jack could continue to play his game now. He pulled the knife back and watched the Crimson fluid slide down her face. His whole body buzzed. He felt like he was sitting on one of those vibrating chairs at the mall. He wanted to see more blood. He wondered how much was in her body.

Then they heard the hinges of the front door creak open and heard Amy speaking softly before stepping inside.