Chapter One: Tides Are Turning

Small town living wasn't fun for anyone. To make it worse, rural areas, mass amounts of trees covering the land that ruined the decent reception that could be had from the internet and cable. Sure, for some people it was all they knew. They preferred it. The adjustment from city living to country life took a toll on you for many reasons. You've never had a childhood home to begin with. To make up for that, you found home within the cities you moved to and the people residing there. Your guardian found a new job in Gravity Falls, Oregon. Leaving your H/T to have a clean slate once again. Social media provided an excellent way for you to keep in touch with your old friends but it was never the same.

The energy you shared between them was different now. The life you were experiencing with them was over, all you could do was watch them continue living their lives on your phone screen via the images and videos they shared. It always looked like so much fun. Drifting apart and losing friends was a natural part of growing up, right? Communication was cut off entirely when it came to certain people. Despite your best efforts there was nothing you could do. It was time to let go again.

You had never heard of such a place. "Gravity Falls." they said to you. The rest of the evening was spent with them boasting about how wonderful the place is, how much you'll love it, how good the people are. How could they know when you've never been there? You never hated the idea of moving to a new state. You never completely loved it either. At this point your natural response was to drown out the noise and take it in stride, day by day. "The school district is amazing, Y/N." Your guardian was practically glowing with delight. "I'm sure it is." You responded without much thought.

You would be leaving within a couple of days. Sounds like you have some time, not really, you know you'll be spending all your days in preparation for the move. You wanted to plan a last outing with your friends, but your schedule has now been replaced with moving and packing. It would be easier to send a text to the group chat and try to video call each other later but finding suitable times for everyone was going to be hard. You could see Delmi, your guardian, checking their phone under the table.

"Delmi, why didn't you tell me you were looking for a new job?" You placed your fork down gently beside your plate. Delmi looked up at you and smiled at you warmly, as they always did. "You know how I am, Y/N." Delmi slipped their phone back into the pocket of their pants. "I don't like to share good news until it's official. This position was a stretch." Delmi continued to eat their food as normal. You stared down at your almost full plate of food, barely touched. "Is this a good idea?" It was a question of doubt. It could have been intended for your own head, but here it was, out in the real world now.

Delmi continued to chew. You could feel their eyes scanning you all over. You didn't want to meet their gaze in fear your words were taken in offense. "I didn't mean anything bad." You said quietly in hopes of a smooth recovery. "I know, Y/N." Delmi always understood you even when you were absolutely sure they didn't. For as long as you could remember it has always been you two. When you were a child, Delmi would remind you it was you and them traveling the world together. Going on adventures. Delmi told you it was something no one could ever take away from you.

Although everywhere you lived was a two bedroom space, Delmi was wrong for saying it was just you two. You grew up with loneliness. Delmi was a single unit who traveled often for work. You found yourself having to take on the role of responsibilities at a young age reserved for innocence and play. It could have been this early taste of freedom that spoiled any opportunity of a wild child to spring.

You always had your group of friends but you were never one to stay out all night at a party, as if Delmi would let you stay out past curfew anyways. Sleepovers were an experience you never got to enjoy as well. Delmi never felt comfortable letting someone else watch over you. Your hobbies were the only sense of control you had in your life as an individual. Even then they were hobbies Delmi approved of.