Part 2

I woke up the next morning. It was all a blur. It seemed as if it was a dream.

I walked downstairs and mom had already poured a bowl of cereal for me. I wasnt even hungry. I couldn't eat at a time like this. I shoveled in a couple bites then left to get ready for work.

I know I'm fourteen, how could I possibly have a real job? Well it's not a real job. My grand pappy picks me up on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays during the summer and I help him out on his farm. It was moms idea, so I had no choice but to agree. Anytime mom wanted something done she put her foot down.

My sister Samantha was smart enough to move out the second she graduated. I was proud of her. I miss her though. See she was always there for me, when I needed advice or help getting out of a sticky situation. I guess that's what my idea of family was. She is the only sane person in this family.

∆∆∆

It was late in the afternoon when my mamaw called me in for lunch.

"I made my famous tuna melt just for you dear."

Ugh the word dear haunted me.

The tuna melt seemed to calm me, but then the earthquake came.

The ground began to shake vigorously. I turned to my left to see my mamaw collapsed on the ground. Blood trickled down her face creating a puddle of blood on the freshly cleaned floors. The roof caved in and the ceiling fan fell on me. "I'm coming for you," a mysterious voice called. For a moment I blacked out.

When I woke up, I was sitting at the kitchen table and mamaw was pirched on her place mat by the burning stove. She was busy cooking grand pappy's lunch.

I thought it was real. Was I seeing things?

I excused myself from the table and went back to work. I had to get my mind off of all of this. I wanted it to be over, for it to be nothing more than a bad nightmare. But this was no nightmare, this was reality.

∆∆∆

I told mamaw I didn't feel well so she drove me home. I couldn't stand to be there. I felt as if I was going crazy. What was happening?

When I arrived home I went to my room. Everything seemed to be normal. My clothes were still in a wrinkled pile on my computer chair from two days ago. I decided a nap could help me. I drifted off into a deep sleep.