3

Four Years Ago?

Gunshots hailed around me as I took aim and fired down the range. Quick bursts of three as instructed before repositioning my rifle and firing again. Focus only on your target and nothing else. After I emptied my clip, I set the rifle down and pulled the plugs from my ear, wincing as the gunshots went from a dull background noise to a sharp soundtrack. I pressed the button above the rifle slot and motioned for the instructor that I was done.

The target I was firing on came wheeling towards the station and the instructor scrunched their face together, analyzing every single bullet hole from my clip of thirty. After a few tense moments, the instructor turned back to me.

"Not great, but not horrible. I'll let you go for today 1012, but I expect better." That's what they all say, that they expect better. Everything I do is never enough.

Only grateful for the fact that I didn't have to load another clip and put those uncomfortable plugs back in, I thanked the instructor and quickly left the firearms room.

Just after the door closed behind me, a loud siren wailed through the air. I mentally cursed. That instructor didn't let me out because I was passable at firing a weapon. They let me out because it was time for mandatory lunch. A healthy diet breeds healthy soldiers! the intercom would normally spit out at this time, feeding us the same irritating phrases every day. With everyone from the firearms room now following behind me, I made my way towards the cafe.

The facility I now lived in, unlike the one where I was experimented on, was exponentially larger. So large to the point where it was given the name "The Pavilion". At the times where we were given free jurisdiction to roam around, it was possible to get lost in these halls.

My personal favorite spot was to hang out inside the infirmary. I mean, all the aching and moaning people made it irritating to stay, but there was a nice Yellow who offered decent conversation. Also, I've seen a lot more than eight people, which I guess constitutes as an upside.

I made my way into the obscenely large cafe. There were upwards of two-hundred tables, and the floor split to offer two levels of seating. Against the back wall, several tall windows displayed a view down the mountain and across the accompanying hills. If you came early morning or at the right time in the afternoon, you'd be able to catch the sun rising or setting, enjoying your meal in a beautiful marigold light. I preferred to eat at these times; it's the only time I get to see the sun.

This is different, I thought to myself.

The cafe, for the first time since seeing it two years ago, was split into six even sections. On every table in any given section, a small colored decoration sat on the table. There were six colored decorations in all: yellow, green, blue, red, orange and purple. Knowing immediately where to sit, I made my way through the tables to sit in the blue section.

Slowly, the cafeteria filled until every table was full, and it didn't take long until I was surrounded by people with the same sharp blue eyes as me. The chatter of hundreds of kids filled the empty air, giving me something to listen to in the meantime.

A man I constantly loathed stood against the cafe's window's, the corrupted sky his background. Upon seeing him stand at attention, the crowd went silent, awaiting his words. After picking a piece of lint off his suit, he began.

"You've all been training as soldiers for the last two years, and the results have been exceptional. I personally couldn't ask for better." The crowd cheered and applauded, but I couldn't take solace in his words.

After coughing in his fist, he continued. "However, operations are going to be ran different from now on."

He reached into a cardboard box and pulled out a several shirts, a pair of jet black sweatpants, and combat boots. "The outfits we distribute are being changed from your current, indistinguishable garments to these. Every color has a shirt representing their respective group, and you'll be able to pick up pants and boots in your respective size to match. Mandatory switch is required within a month." Personally, I was indifferent towards the black uniforms we currently wore.