Chapter 1

THEODORA

PRESENT

"Don't get into trouble.", said my brother.

I looked at him with a confused look, I was about to ask what he meant when the doors opened and we were greeted by a well-dressed butler with a vibrant smile. Instantly, I nodded at him and looked at the room present in front of me.

My brother said before he left, "I will be right back"

I looked in his direction until he became a blur. I searched for a dark corner, where I could blend easily, so no one could see me. People chatted all around me, something that I was used to it, but I didn't like to be around these people. They were just fake.

I found a perfect corner and I swiftly hid from everyone. I looked at the room in detail. The room was dark but bright. Giving an essence that two different souls blended together. A contemporary vibe was all around with Montgomery shine and star lights around it. People kept mingling, some men in black suits and woman in long dresses.

How did I get here? How did my life end up again here? I was supposed to break free, but I was pulled back.

Just remembering how I came back, made me nervous and angry.

****

72 HOURS BEFORE

Drinking my coffee and looking at the figures was my job. Part-time jobs were needed for a better job, truth to be told I didn't want to do accounting or needed money. I had enough as my Father made sure of it.

My dream was to explore the world and take photographs, but my dreams were shattered when my Mother died and later knew the truth. That was 13 years ago. Right after my brother's birthday, my mother died from a car crash and my Father never changed. I always wondered why my father never loved me... and I asked him once. What he said to me, still echoes in my ears.

"You are a disgrace. A girl. I never wanted a daughter. That is why you mean nothing to me."

That was Silas Moretti, my father. Thinking about those words squeezed my damaged heart. Didn't I mean anything to him? But still, I wanted his love, I wanted his affection, just something that he can call me his own. I looked how he looked at my brother, full of pride and adoration. Like he was a precious piece of art that couldn't be damaged, but I never once envied my younger brother.

My thoughts broke when I heard a ring. I looked at it and my Father was ringing. Never once he indulged in a conversation with me, then why now? I quickly picked up without missing a heartbeat. I said quietly, "Hello."

He just said, "Come home."

Those words were the least that I expected, but it was laced with another meaning. My heart started aching like something bad had happened or was about to happen, "Why?"

"Your brother."

After that, I couldn't hear anything as the only sound I could hear was a lone buzz. I was brought back to the present and I said in a rush, "I am coming."

I stood up and ran to the nearest airport without thinking if the cars would hit me. When I entered the airport, I bought a ticket to North Carolina. I got on the plane and waited till I reached there.

While waiting, the only images that kept appearing on my head were about my Mother. Thinking of all our memories and promises. I still remember the promise to protect my brother. I never understood why she asked me that, but they were her last words to me.