» 35

P H O E N I X

The garage where Kaden worked was relatively difficult to find. It was tucked away behind some trees but when I did locate it and came inside, it was as big as a mansion. There were several levels and rows and rows of cars. It seemed to stretch on forever.

I caught someone as they were walking past to ask them where I could find Kaden. He pointed me in a direction and even then I got a little bit lost. But after some more wandering, I came across a pair of familiar sneakers poking out of a black Honda. Beside long legs was an empty coffee cup.

I leaned against another car and waited. There was open textbook perched on the hood along with pieces of paper filled with Kaden's scribbles. There was a half done equation with the rest taken over by a messy pen sketch of the Honda.

I'd finished my exams but I knew Kaden still had a couple more to go. I moved the papers, causing the pen to fall to the ground just as he rolled out from under.

"Hey." He said, picking up the pen. I didn't miss the grimace he tried to mask as he got up. "What are you doing here?"

"Brought you lunch." I handed him the plastic bag from my backpack.

"Thanks." He gave me a quick peck on the lips.

I could smell sweat mixed with petrol clinging to his skin. He was in a pair of faded jeans and tank top, leaving his arms exposed. There were fewer bruises than before. He was almost fully healed. Other than that, my view was more than pleasing.

He wiped his hands with a rag and offered me a sandwich. I shook my head, "Chloe said not to push your body so much. At least not until it's fully healed."

"I'm fine, stop worrying." I wasn't convinced so he raised his brow in challenge. "Okay, would I be able to do this?"

Without warning, he gripped my hips and raised me up so I was straddling his waist. I was too shocked to do anything but gasp a little louder. I looked around to see a few heads turned our way.

"Put me down." I hissed.

Instead of listening to me he began to walk with me still straddling him. When I tried to get down myself, he picked me back up bridal style. He took me to a little corner where the cars were stacked on top of one another and away from prying eyes.

Then he began kissing me. I resisted at first but my attempts were futile and I gave in all too quickly. My fingers knotted into his hair, my mouth battled with his and from there on things began to escalate quickly.

Our bodies molded into one another. It was different to other times, somehow more intimate. His hand was on the hem of my shirt and it was going smoothly until he doubled over groaning.

I shot away from him like he was on fire, terrified I'd done something to hurt him. Slowly, I inched closer but as I did so I saw his shoulders shaking in. . . laughter?

"You should have seen your face." He looked up grinning.

"Screw you." I picked up the jacket that he'd taken off me not seconds ago. As I made my move to leave, he caught my wrist.

"Phoenix." I swallowed as he moved my chin to meet his intense gaze. "Thank you."

"I would hit you--" He pecked my lips before I could finish.

"I know."

We went back to the Honda, his arm still around my waist. The other half of the sandwich was still there as well as the orange juice box I'd gotten.

He held it up, puncturing it with a straw. "Really?"

I shrugged. "It's better than caffeine."

"Caffeine helps me stay awake."