Chapter 4

I flop on my bed once I come home from school.

What a day.

It's so weird for me to call Cameron my friend... I'm so used to his friends being douchebags to everyone and Cameron being a popular loser. Yes, a contradictory statement, but it makes sense in my mind.

I open my contacts on my phone and look for Cameron's number. I decide to text him and ask if he wants to meet up with me somewhere.

*hey Cameron, you wanna meet at that old coffee shop with me? I think it's called Burn?*

I wait for a response.

I pick my laptop up off my carpeted floor and open it up to my music. Grapevine Fires by Death Cab For Cutie plays. While I'm resting my eyes and listening to the music, I hear my phone buzzing obnoxiously.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey, why don't you come over instead?" Cameron's voice sounds inviting.

"Yeah, sure!" I answer and shut my laptop. I grab my car keys and race out of my room.

"I'll see you soon?" He asks. I can tell he's smiling.

"Yeah, I will. Text me your address!" I say before I close the front door to my house.

"I will. Bye Cassie." I hear him chuckle as he hangs up the phone.

Wow. I would've never expected to go over someone's house the first day I met them. I guess Cameron is just spontaneous.

I sit in my car and hook my phone up to the Bluetooth. I play my music when I hear a knock on my window. I roll it down.

"Where do you think you're going?" My mother looks directly into my eyes.

"I'm going to a friends house mom." I turn down my music.

"Okay well next time, just tell me sweetie. Have fun. Here, let me get you some money in case you end up going to dinner or something."

"No mom-" She runs inside my house and I wait outside for her to return.

She returns huffing and puffing. "Here's $40- I expect change Cassie! Have fun!"

"I will mom!" She hugs me through the window and waves goodbye. I start entering Cameron's address into my GPS and turn my music back up. Cameron's house is only 10 minutes away from mine. It's a short drive I suppose.

...

I pull into Cameron's driveway and walk up to his front door. Big house.

I knock until I hear his door unlock and I see a familiar face.

"Hey Cassie!" Cameron brings me in for a hug.

"Hey," I respond, returning his hug.

"Come on in!" He says, leading me through his house and into his kitchen. "Mom, Dad, this is Cassie. Cassie, these are my parents."

"It's very nice to meet you, Cassie." Mrs. Dallas reaches her hand out for me to shake.

"The pleasure is mine," I smile warmly at both of Cameron's parents.

"It's nice to meet you Cassie," Mr. Dallas reaches out to me and hugs me. Friendly person.

"It's very nice to meet you too sir!" I answer.

"Alright, well, we're going down to the basement. We'll be back up at some point. Cassie, after you," Cameron extends his arm.

"Well I would go first if I knew where your basement is," His parents join me in laughter. Cameron's cheeks turn pink.

"Right. Uhm, this way," He laughs to himself and shakes his head.

We descend down a wooden staircase into a large basement with a huge entertainment system. A flat screen TV, xbox, leather couch, Wii, you name it. The Dallas' had it.

"Wow," is the only word I can muster. This is huge. "Your house is beautiful," I say.

"Hah, thanks Cassie." Cameron answers as he sits on the couch. "Please, sit!" He gestures for me to sit beside him. "So, Cassie," Cameron says. "I know almost nothing about you. So tell me something, something secret." He says.

"Ooh a secret, like what, something deep?" I ask.

"Yeah, like, something you've never told anyone." He says and looks me up and down. Of course.

"Alright um, I guess something secret would be that I've never told anyone a secret of mine," I laugh as he looks annoyed with me.

"For real Cassie!" He laughs and hits my arm.

"Alright alright, I've never had my first kiss." I turn red.

"What?" He says, questioning one of my most embarrassing secrets. "Are you kidding me? You have to be joking." He laughs. I say nothing. "Are you serious? But how? You're so beautiful, I don't see how any guy could say no to you."

"That's very kind of you to say. I've never really been interested in anyone, and no one has ever been interested in me. So that's that." I lean back on the couch and look at Cameron. All of a sudden he comes closer to me. "What the-" His lips plant onto mine. I don't even react. I keep my eyes open until he pulls away. "What was that Cameron?!" I stand up and look at him.

"What can I say? Now you've had your first kiss with your new best friend!" He smiles and laughs. "Now sit back down, I have to tell you a secret of mine since you so willingly told me one of yours." He smirks at me.

I laugh and sit back down like he said to. "So, what is it?" I stare at him.

"Well, no one's ever known this, but I was on Broadway as a little kid." He laughs and turns super red.

"Oh my god that is rich. That's hilarious. Who did you play?"

"Oliver." He responds, looking away.

"Aw Cameron, would you like some more?" I ask in a British accent, mocking him. I laugh as he tackles me on the ground.

"Don't be making fun of me Cassie!" He cackles and pins me to the ground. "You're gonna pay for that!" He laughs.

"Really now, how?" I ask.

He starts tickling me and I can't stop laughing. "GOD CAMERON STOP I-" I can't even stop laughing enough to tell him to stop! "I- HAHAHA- CAN'T BREATHE!!"

"Aw wittle Cassie is being tickled!" He laughs and eventually stops.

"That was... torturous!" I giggle, sitting up.

"That's what you get!" He laughs and comes towards me.