O N E

A/N: I'm writing this and MAY BE posting it on QUOTEV too. So if you see it anywhere else other than QUOTEV and Wattpad please let me know. Anyway, enjoy. (or not yano it's your personal opinion)

-

     She was only six when they took her away; much like the rest of them. Barely a day after arriving to the mysterious building they had begun testing her. From the moment she set foot through the locked doors, everything was a test.

     The people in the white coats wanted to call her Vanessa. She thought it was dumb to call her by another name. She liked her own name her mother gave her, but the white coats said that in order to proceed she couldn't be 'Tori' anymore. Tori didn't want to continue. She wanted to go home. Of course, her protests never ended well.

     The white coats believed that torture was the way to get a child to cooperate, though they didn't call it torture, they called it "punishment" for not accepting their ways. Tori was stubborn. She refused her new name for almost a whole year, and for the amount of time she refused she was forced into solitude, daily tests and the attempts at changing her name were also a part of her routine. The only people she ever saw was the one's in the white coats. And all they wanted to do was analyze her.

     At one point during her seemingly endless days of torture, Tori had almost lost any fight she had left in her. She knew fighting them was useless, all it ended in was pain. But she couldn't give up, as much as it hurt giving up hurt more.

     A man had came to her door, the same one that always does when it's time for the name change. He greeted her with a frown. Neither of them spoke as he led her down the long corridor to the room where she would be poked and prodded with a variety of instruments until they would decide to send her back to her room with some punishment for not accepting her name.

 She had been to this room at least a thousand times, or at least that's what it felt like. She would have lost track of the days if there wasn't a made-from-scratch calendar hanging above her desk in her room.

     Everything was already set up as usual in the testing room. Randall, the man whose job was to take their names and give them a new one, stood beside the chair, his gloved hands already holding a needle filled with an odd colored liquid. They had been through this so many times that Randall was always prepared to inject her with the pain stimulator.

     "Please Vanessa, sit." Randall motioned towards the seat with the hand not holding a needle. Reluctantly she did. "I know the drill Randall." And she took her seat. The man who had walked her to the room started hooking the various machines that monitored her vitals; and everything else that they needed in order to continue, up to her. After he had finished, Randall dismissed him and he left.

    "So Vanessa, are you ready to finally embrace your name?"

     She bit her lip and looked the man directly in the eye. "My name is Tori." Randall closes his eyes and reopens them. "Now Vanessa, you know that you're the only one who has took this long to accept their name. In fact, you're the last one to accept it. Teresa accepted hers without a problem, Thomas accepted his after a few days. And how long have we been doing this?"

     Not caring if what he was asking was rhetorical or not, Tori spoke. "One hundred and eighty seven days, but who's counting?" She gave him a grim smile and he let out a frustrated sigh. "You know, I'm starting to think that you actually enjoy all of this pain. There really isn't a need to put up a fight anymore."