17.| This Isn't the End

When I get home, everyone is shocked to see me. Lavender buries her face in my chest, bawling. Uncle Jinx stares at me with wide eyes, Res and Pine, even Nex and Zana hug me. Clover didn't understand what exactly was going on. She's just glad I'm home. Once all my siblings have pulled away from me, Dad grabs my shoulders roughly, his eyes bloodshot, his face as red as a tomato.

"Where the drips were you, Magnolia?!" His words boom through our tiny apartment. Terror has seized me and I can't speak. Now that all the adrenaline from my escapade up to Level 5 has worn off I realize just how much of an idiot I was being. Trusting a stranger, breaking the rules. They've probably caught me on video. I'm so careless. So many things could have happened to me.

"Well?" Dad persists, his firm hands still wrapped around my shoulders. His intense stare is more than I can handle and I cast my gaze to my snickers. A deep, breathy sigh escapes my father's lips and he pulls me into a hug. "I was so worried about you, "he whispers, stroking my hair, "we all were." Tears well in my eyes. I made them worry. I promised myself I wouldn't do that. But ever since we caused that big scene at the Festival, it seems like that's all I've done.

"I'm sorry, Dad. I didn't mean to scare you," I choke out as the tears fall. I clutch the back of his burnt orange polo shirt, feeling safe in his arms. Feeling scared. I haven't cried in front of my family in so long. Honestly, it feels good not to hide. To be real for once. Not to pretend.
Dad finally lets me go, fighting to keep his own emotions under control. I wipe my tears on the sleeve of my jacket before performing our secret handshake with Uncle Jinx.

"What were you doing anyways?" Dad asks me, seriousness returning to his tone. I look away.

"I took a really long walk and got lost somewhere towards the Outerlands. But this kind elderly lady helped me find my way back." My stomach turns as the lie flops out of my mouth. Dad gives one of his warning glances before he walks to the bathroom. After standing there for a moment longer I head to the back bedroom to say hello to Mom and Grandfather, who both look relieved when I enter the room.

"My darling Magnolia, "Mom coughs and droplets of blood stain her pillow, "Thank the Council you're safe." A shiver crawls down my spine. Thank the Council? No. Curse the Council.

"I'm alright, Mom," I tell her, kneeling beside the bed, our faces only inches apart. Mom's frail, boney fingers reach out and stroke my hair. I touch her cheek. She's worse today, which pains me. But I'm going to make her better. I have money for medicine now and for real food. A dream come true. Err, wish. Dreams are bad.

"Do-don't scare me like that again," She scolds in her hoarse, phlegm-ridden voice. I shake my head, fighting my tears.

"I won't." Rising, I turn to my grandfather to embrace him. He wraps his arms around me, pressing a kiss to my temple. I smile as I take in his musky scent. Grandfather presses his lips against my ear, whispering, "I know what you had, and I know what you did." I pull away from him as the panic and shock cross my face. How did he know? Grandfather smirks. "Brave girl," he whispers gently, so that only I can hear it. I glance to the wall. I don't feel brave. I feel stupid. This whole time I've been nothing but stupid, acting on impulses instead of thinking about the consequences of my actions. I'm lucky to be where I am right now. I'm lucky that my family is still safe. But I know this isn't over. The Council isn't finished with me yet.

_______________

Dad has just gotten home from work when it happens. The door flies open. A drove of Inspectors storms inside, knocking things over, pushing my siblings out of their way, their weapons trained on us. The entire apartment turns to chaos instantly. Crying, screaming. Zana hits her knees, sobbing as the inspectors surround us. Dad grabs a knife from the kitchen, holding it out in self-defense. My siblings are screaming, Mom calls from the bedroom to see what's wrong.

"Silence!" Everything is deathly still. The officers step further inside, invading our home.

"Hands in the air, stay where you are!" Another inspector commands as he steps through the threshold. He looks mean. He looks exactly like the officer that I saw last night. The one I asked for help. His blonde hair is trimmed short and spiked up in the front. His green eyes glisten with warning. He's outfitted in a deep blue uniform with white stripes across his shoulders and the sides of his pants. A variety of medals and badges hang from his chest, sparkling in the florescent light. He must be important. The expression on his face is egotistical, a sickening mixture of anger and authority. My heart jumps to my throat.

"Inspector Knox, "he introduces as he flashes his badge in our faces, "I have a warrant for the arrest of one Magnolia Noble, and one Jinx Noble." A wave of fear crashes over me. Not this. Anything but this. At the same time, I sort of expected that they would come for me eventually.

"On what grounds?!" Dad has turned into a mess of anger and indignance.

"They questioned the Council, Mr. Noble. Your daughter and your brother have challenged the Council's judgement. As I'm sure you are aware, that is a 10th degree offense." Dad gives a slight nod, casting his gaze to the floor.

"Additionally, your daughter was found with an illegal work of literature in her possession, which she refused to surrender to the Council, selling the book to an unknown party in Level 5." Everything is frozen, all eyes turn to me. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not even sure what's happening. Dad and I stare at each other for a long time. The look on his face breaks my heart. He's silently pleading for me to deny Knox's words. I keep quiet watching as my father's expression changes from disbelief to horror.

"You had a...,"Dad can't even finish his sentence he's so disgusted. "Level 5?" He finally asks me, hoping it's not true. His words are barely audible. I nod. Dad looks away. Just when Knox is about to speak Res goes at him, grabbing his arm, trying to do something to stop this. Knox effortlessly flings my brother to the ground. Res hits the floor, grunting from the pain. I step forward to help him up but one of the officers cocks their gun. I freeze. Inspector Knox turns to my father, glaring down at my brother who is too panicked to move. He's too close to Res for my comfort. My heart is going to break out of my chest at any moment.

"Put the knife down, Mr. Noble," Knox orders, that smug grin of his spreading across his lips as he glances to my father. Dad sets his weapon on the counter, watching as the officer takes a step away from my little brother. Res is pale and so scared that he's shaking. Knox kicks one of Zana's toys across the room, glancing from Dad to Res, and then to Pine and Clover who have stayed in the corner this entire time. I'm staring at my father but he won't even look at me.

"Cuff them." The Inspector's words are clipped. Arrogant. One of the inspectors steps up to me, forcing my hands behind my back. I struggle against him but it doesn't do anything, except for cause me more pain. He jabs the butt of his baton into my side. A heavy gasp escapes my throat as I try not to crumble to the floor. The inspector locks the metal handcuffs around my wrists. They're digging into my skin.

I'm expecting Uncle Jinx to fight them more than I did, maybe even to get away. But he doesn't. Fighting is what they expect. Inspectors relish in it. My uncle hates giving the Council what they want so he goes willingly, allowing them to cuff him and lead him towards the door.

"We'll be in touch," Inspector Knox tells my father as he watches the officers lead me away.

"Magnolia?" The voice of my seven-year-old sister breaks the silence. I glance over my shoulder at her, trying not to cry. I'm failing. Tears quickly litter my cheeks as she stares up at me with her deep blue, pleading eyes. "Where are you going?" Lav asks me in her serious yet childish voice. My heart breaks. Before I get the chance to answer her Inspector Knox presses his firm hand flat against my back shoving me out of the apartment, slamming the door behind us. Tearing me from my family.

Dearest readers,
Thanks for reading this new chapter! I hope you enjoyed it. I apologize for all the editing I've had to do. It's just... if I didn't go back and fix what I knew needed to be fixed I was never going to finish this book!

Stay inspired!
- Miranda