2

Ralph's POV
It was a Monday, that meant jack would be up earlier than usual and take his 'men' off to hunt. I sighed at his actions and carried on building our latest house, this one in the trees. I climb steadily, gripping to the rich green vines, slipping in places. I could see jack in the distance, I smiled to myself. He turned around, waving and grinning all at once, flashing a smile. His freckles evident, even though he was darker now. We all grew up a bit from the time we first arrived, but that talk is banished. Jack's the tallest, more muscular now, but slim and tan. The other boys grew up a bit as well, but still a few years behind me and jack. It was a lot more organised, no one argued, apart from me and jack. But it was never serious, just about fires and hunting, the regular stuff. There weren't many of us, but enough to have built a nice little area to sleep in and gather for meals. I was proud, and I know jack is too, even if he doesn't mention it like myself.

My focus was brought back to the vines, as I followed them round, trying to find the best place to begin. That's when I could see red on the sand. I staggered down, gasping. Could it be fish, enough to stop jack hunting for at least a few days. Walking across the beach, smirking to myself. I peered over the dark rock barrier, and had to hold myself steady at what I saw.

A girl.

I leant beside her head, confused and worried, it had been so long since the last time I saw a girl. It came as a shock. She was fair, with light brown hair waved to below her chest. A cut on her shoulder, not that deep from what I could see, but it left a stain on the chalky white sands. Rosy cheeks and nose, beginning to peel in places from the damaging sun. Her dainty body lay still in my shadow, only in a white night gown that was dirtied in places, but not ruined. Her thick brows furrowed together as i searched for a pulse, as if she was answering my question, she reached for my arm, yanking me in. She leant up, sucking in breaths of warm air extremely quickly. I gasped, pulling away.
"Wh-ere am I? Where's mother, and father? They'd be so worried! I must- I have to-" her eyes shut, as she fell onto my knees exhaustedly.

I quickly came to my senses, picking her up, cradling her body in my arms and carrying her back to my room. I shut the door, pacing back and forth. So many questions crossed my mind, but they soon disappeared when I saw her moving on the bed. Her hair sprawled out on the leafy pillow, her olive skin complimenting the dirty white sand she lay upon. Dark green walls surrounded us, keeping us enclosed from danger. I hurried to her side, staring helplessly at her fidgeting under my presence. Then she fell silent, as if she was giving up.

I didn't know what else to do, so I ran into the forest, in search of jack. He would know what to do, right?