Chapter 1- A White Cloak and a New Freedom

'We're going to become famous thanks to this little animal!'

'I can just imagine the money pouring in.'

'What else can we do to this creature? She's not dead yet.'

'Just calm down you damn cat. You should be used to the pain by now.'

I'm not just your experiment!

I'm a living, breathing soul!

You will never understand!

One day, you will regret everything you've ever done to me.

...........

I wake up in a cold sweat, heart pounding almost out of my chest due to fear, and vividness of the nightmare.

Crap, I thought. Again? I've been having this dream ever since I escaped.

I sit for a few minutes thinking about how I managed to get on an overcrowded boat sailing to a land that I don't even know the name of.

...Flashback...

I was running as fast as I possibly could away from that place. Adrenaline coursed through my veins as I pushed it to its physical limits. If I had more time I would have enjoyed the feeling of freedom, but I knew it wouldn't be long before they noticed my absence.

Faster, faster!

I tried my best to avoid tripping or running into trees in my mad rush. Eventually, I started to slow down, realizing that I had no idea where I was.

Where am I supposed to go?

The adrenaline started to wear off. It's not like I can go ba- wait, what are those smells, and why are they getting closer?

It's them. I'm done for.

Frantically, I looked around for a hiding place, finally deciding to dive into the bushes. It tore at my fur and gave me painful scratches, but I didn't notice; I was too focused on making sure that I wasn't found. I peeked through a small hole and saw a commotion.

Why are so many humans running? And what's with all of the shouting?

A large group of people came sprinting right past me, completely unaware of my presence. It was so intriguing that I decided to try and take a closer look, wondering why in the world would they be in such a rush. But then a girl in a torn white cloak came and knelt down right in front of where I was sitting, making it apparent that I had given away my location.

I tried to move further back into the bush, but my already torn clothes kept getting tangled and caught.

This is the end, and I was so close to freedom.

"Hey, I'm not going to hurt you." All the gears in my brain suddenly shifted to a halt. For the first time, I looked at who was speaking to me noticing the small, pointed ears protruding from her head as well as her warm, amber eyes. She looked young but had wise eyes, begging for my trust. She had long auburn hair that looked like it hadn't been brushed in ages. I can't explain why, but I suddenly felt relaxed and didn't I hesitate to take her hand when she extended it.

"Come with us, we'll take you to a safe place." The girl said in a soft and quiet voice. I could tell she feared that being any louder would cause me to bolt. As she pulled me out of the bush, her eyes held an emotion somewhere between anger and sympathy. I had a feeling she would have asked what happened if it were not for the fact that the shouting seemed to be getting louder. I could make our a few faint words and they made me shiver in fear.