Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Josh's POV

All I wanted to do was watch Jezebel sleep because she looked so peaceful. I had one arm draped around her waist and I felt like she was safe in my arms once more. All she was wearing was underwear, a bra and an oversized T-shirt. It was hard not to notice how beautiful she was. I could feel the rhythmic rise and fall of her chest and I was lulled into sleep by that and the cool sea breeze that was now blowing in through her window.

I lay my head down on the pillow and wished that I could live in this moment for a little longer but eventually exhaustion won out. I kissed Jezebel lightly on the back of the neck and let my eyes flutter closed.

I honestly couldn't tell you how long we'd been asleep but it was nowhere near long enough. But I wasn't woken gently more like jolted out of a deep restful sleep. Actually it was more like wrenched out of sleep. To be more specific it was Jezebel who was wrenched out of my arms and was what caused me to wake up abruptly.  Blearily I glanced around heart skipping a beat as I expected Kyle to be standing in the room.

But once my eyes focused all I saw was Jezebel sitting bolt upright on the end of the bed. I propped myself up on one elbow and reached out for her. Suddenly she swung her head around to look me directly in the face. A shiver ran down my spine as I took in her expressionless face and glowing golden eyes. All I could think was, It's happening again.

It was just like the first time and in the same gravelly voice she spoke the same words, "Help me."

Wordlessly I jumped out of bed and found the three items she requested last time. A pen, a piece of paper and an Atlas. The last one was harder but I found one high up in a bookshelf. Once I'd done that I went back to find Jezebel gone from her room. Fear gripped my heart and I all but sprinted out of the room to find her sitting at the dining room table with the necklace I gave her in one hand. The sword, Excalibur, was lying on the table as well.

Feeling uneasy I watched as the process happened again. The Atlas opened to a seemingly random page and then Jezebel started to mutter in Latin until her swinging necklace stuck to the page. With the pen she marked the point on the map where the necklace had stuck. Then she went for the plain piece of paper and started jotting down what appeared to be number sequences and more Latin.

We sat there in silence and the golden glow from her eyes. As soon as she reached the end of the page she underlined the final thin she wrote and sat back. Carefully she put her necklace back on and dropped the pen on the table. Leaning back heavily on the chair she let out a breath and her face grew slack as the glow faded from her eyes. I picked up the piece of paper in front of her and read what was underlined at the bottom.

Stonehenge – Philosopher Stone

51°10′43.84″N, 1°49′34.28″W

More coordinates which meant there must be something else for us to find. I glanced over to the sword lying on the table and wondered how this was all connected. I was puzzling over this when I saw Jezebel move out of the corner of my eye. She rubbed her eyes and shook her head as if to clear it. I smiled a small weak smile and took in her now immensely confused expression. Jezebel opened and closed her mouth several times before she actually managed to get something out.

"It happened again didn't it?" She asked gazing at the paper in my hand.

All I did for a response was hand her the paper I was holding. She studied it for a while with a frown. I wasn't sure what she was thinking but I guess Jezebel just couldn't understand why she couldn't remember anything. Shrugging she sighed and turned back to me.