01; THE SIBLING THING

What the actual hell.

There are so many of these stupid stories out there that I could probably read one a day for the rest of my life and still never run out.

SIBLING STORIES.

The plot is the exact same in every one.

Scott McCall's twin sister (played by Nina Dobrev, obviously, because she's apparently the only fucking actress out there) is put into the show with no purpose other than to fall in love with Stiles and agonise over falling in love with her brother's best friend.

And hey, just to mix things up a little, let's give her a few of Stiles' lines to make it obvious that they're soulmates, because hey, the o/c says what Stiles says in the show!

Genius, right?

WRONG.

I once read this story where the o/c was Stiles' sister, was played by Phoebe Tonkin (another overused faceclaim) and was falling in love with- guess who- Scott!

She had no original lines whatsoever. The entire book was just the plot of Teen Wolf. It was like watching the show all over again, just with shitty grammar and a random character occasionally saying things the characters were supposed to say. She also had no friends apart from Scott and Stiles, which seemed a little funny to me.

Surely if you're a twin, you don't hang out with the other twin in school? Like, I would be friends with them, but I wouldn't have one friend and the twin and then nobody else to hang out with. I would lose my mind.

Anyway. I'd been reading the book for a while, until... finally, (and by finally, I mean about the fourth chapter) there was the great 'Scott and o/c kiss' scene. They'd had no interactions at all up to this point, but suddenly Scott and the o/c were staring into each other's eyes and the o/c was thinking about how HOT Scott suddenly seemed.

(Like, girl, I get he's your brother's best friend and yours too but still. Are you blind?)

And then, there came the bit that really pissed me off.

THE AUTHOR LITERALLY PLAGARISED THE ENTIRE ALLISON AND ISAAC 'WERE YOU JUST TRYING TO KISS ME?' SCENE. AND THEN JUST FUCKING HAD THE EXACT SAME DIALOGUE AS THE SCENE IN THE SHOW.

THE O/C SAID EVERYTHING ALLISON SAID. SCOTT SAID EVERYTHING THAT ISAAC SAID.

I was actually looking forwards to the scene, because I thought it would be completely original. You know, seeing as the kiss hadn't been in the actual show. SO THERE WOULD BE NO CHANCE OF STUFF I'D ALREADY SEEN IN TEEN WOLF.

But apparently, no, the author had to take Allison and Isaac's scene.

I can't even say how much that pissed me off.

Then, I clicked out of the book (no way was I reading more) and the book had stupidly high reads.

And I'm just sitting over here laughing my ass off because I've seen great books with almost no reads, and then we've got just a repeat of the show with about sixty thousand reads.

Great. I was calm before writing this, but now I'm just fucking pissed.

I hope you learn something from this.

DON'T FUCKING DO SIBLING FICS UNLESS THE O/C BEING A SIBLING ISN'T THE ONLY REASON THEY'RE ON THE SHOW.

That didn't even make sense.

Just don't fucking use siblings, people, unless you find a way to make it original.

I'm still pissed about this, though.

Like, it takes about ten minutes to figure out a way to get your O/C into the story.

For example, the O/C could have been turned by Derek when he wanted to get a bigger pack. Simple.

I haven't seen this done before. So do it.

Perfect introduction. BAM. And it's easy to make them know another character, too. Scott wants to get them onto his side. Stiles goes to talk to them. Boom. Love happens.

SHIT, I don't know.

New student who smells of wolf.

Erica's best friend who gets caught up in the wolf stuff.

Someone who used to be a Dread Doctor but turned good and now tries to stop their experiments, and then teams up with the pack.

An O/C who lives next to Kira and brings her round one of those welcome basket things to welcome her to the neighbourhood, and then boom, falls in love. YAY.

Use any of these I don't fucking care. Just DON'T DO THE SIBLING THING.

xxx Charlotte