The scent of meat

I finish braiding my hair and someone knocks at the door. "Come in." I say.
The door opens and Morgan has some shorts and a t-shirt. "I hope they fit, I just guessed your size." He says closing the door back before I can thank him. I quickly slip out of my blue hospital clothes and fold them before setting them in a empty basket in the corner of my room labeled: Dirty Clothes.
I quickly slip on the clothes and sit on the bed. I open the night stand drawer and pull out a rubber band to tie the shirt up because it almost goes to my knees. He guessed wrong. Well at least he TRIED. I stand examining myself in the mirror. The shorts expose some of the bandages on my thigh and my long tanned legs. Before the apocalypse, guys considered girls like me beautiful. I wonder if they still do.....
My thoughts are interrupted by knocking. Morgan pushes the door open. "Lets go make some new friends." He says grinning. I follow him out of the room and outside into the sun. The sun immediately warms my skin and I stop as 2 kids race past us. I stare at them running away and I hear Morgan laugh. "Has it been awhile since you seen people this happy?" He wonders.

I nod slowly tearing my gaze away from the kids and look at Morgan. "It's weird at first but you'll get used to it after awhile." He says motioning for me to follow him. I walk with him and I see Jerry playing with a bunch of kids and he grabs one tosses him in the air and catches him. When Jerry spots us he sets the kid down and says something earning groans from the kids. He starts walking over and his smile immediately warms my heart. "Hey Nameless, wanna meet some kids?" He asks motioning over to the group of kids laughing and still chasing each other. "I was hoping I could meet, some people my age." I say nervously. He nods and offers me his arm and I look at Morgan and he nods. I take Jerry's arm and walk with the larger man. He leads me away from the groups to a side bench with 3 girls sitting and talking. "Hey Jerry, who's this?" One asks standing up smiling at me. "This is Nameless, she's shy so we haven't figured her name out yet." He lies grinning. "Hey Nameless I'm Belle and this is Annie and Beatrice." She says introducing the girls smiling brightly. I smile back and Jerry tries to leave and I squeeze his arm tightly. I look up at him. "Well maybe I should try to introduce her to some others,she's sore from being shot and wants to get back to bed." He says. "It was a treat getting to meet you!" Belle says and they all smile and agree. I nod before Jerry pulls me away squeezing my arm tightly back. "Also I heard you're religious we have church Sundays." He says looking down to me. A scent of something whiffs through the air. Sweet but nasty. "And that's the smell of steak." He answers. "Well I'm vegetarian." I say softly giggling at his response to my statement. "You're missing out honestly, but we have fresh fruits and vegetables." He says rubbing my back. "Do you have a quiet place to sit and relax while we eat?" I ask.
"Now that you say something, there's a garden. We could hang out there." He says looking excited. I nod looking away at Morgan standing alone.