Chapter 49: See You

"You look regal!" Daphne exclaimed, grinning at me.

"She is my daughter," my mother said with a nod of approval, her pride flashing in her eyes as she grinned at me.

"Can we find the photographer?" I asked anxiously, knowing I'd have to take pictures with the bridal party before the wedding.  I just wanted to get married.  I just wanted to see him.  With all my being.

"He's waiting in the courtyard with the rest of the bridal party," Nathaniel's mom said, peering around the corner at me, standing in a pale pink dress, grinning from ear to ear.  "You look so beautiful Astoria," she exclaimed, grinning at me.

"You as well," I said softly, straightening my shoulders, smiling at the four women around me, thankful for their encouraging presence.  "You girls ready?" I asked, watching them nod, taking my arms as we walked towards the elevator.

"You okay?" Catalina asked as we began our descent.  I nodded, taking a deep breath as we stepped out of the elevator.

"I'm going to be," I said softly, picking up my dress as they trailed behind me, the train of the dress in hand.  I felt everyone's attention on me immediately, and I raised my chin in defiance.

Let them stare.

I saw ghosts in the crowd, but I paid no mind to them.

Portia, Daniel, Rafael, they were all there, staring at me, observing me, judging my decision, but I couldn't look them in the eye.  Of course, they weren't really there, but I felt it.  I felt their presence weighing on me.

As I stepped through the doors, enveloped by the warm sun and the cool air, I immediately felt refreshed, greeted by familiar faces.  Family, friends, and acquaintances alike.

As we snapped picture after picture, I could almost see Rafael over the photographer's shoulder, as he had stood there, waiting for his turn to take a picture with me the first time.

He was still as handsome as I remembered him.  He was still as calm and considerate as I remembered.

And that was when I realized that all of my fears, all of my anxieties that I had about the wedding were futile.  Because Rafael, wherever he was, still loved me.  He loved me no matter what happened.

"Astoria!" Daphne called from the door.  I snapped out of my daze, realizing that I was alone in the garden.  "Come on!  We can't leave my brother at the altar!" She teased, motioning for me to follow.  I carefully collected my dress, taking a step towards her, then another, and another, until I was again in the lobby, surrounded by socialites trying to grasp one more glance at me before I promised my heart away, again.

"Can't believe this is happening again!" Catalina howled, leaning against her husband, Henry, beaming up at him.  "I knew they were always meant to be," she sighed.

"Personally-" Dayton began as Daphne elbowed him in the ribs as he put his hands up in surrender.

"We're all glad you're happy," Daphne finished, smiling smugly at Dayton as I let out a laugh.

"We're here!" Catalina shouted, opening the door, jumping from foot to foot, grinning.  "What a beautiful day for a wedding," she cooed, beaming at me as I followed the rest of the party out of the bus.

"Let's get you inside," my mother called, appearing from inside the church, guiding me inside.  "the paparazzi is everywhere," she complained as Margaret opened the door, welcoming me with open arms, guiding me towards the back of the church, away from the sight of everyone in the pews.

"Your father is coming back in a moment, do you need anything?" My mother asked, staring at me intently as the girls and groomsmen began lining up.  I shook my head as she embraced me, kissing my cheek.  "By beautiful daughter, I am so proud of you," she cooed, holding me at arms length, stepping back.

"I'll see you soon mama," I whispered as she wiped the corner of her eye, squeezing my fingertips before disappearing with Margaret.

I took a deep breath as the beginning of the bridal party began filtering into the church, welcomed by the soft hums of the organ.  I felt my father's presence beside me and I immediately turned to him, embracing him.

"Everything okay, sweetie?" he asked.  I nodded my head, not trusting my voice.  "I miss him too," my father said, taking me by surprise.  "Rafael was a big part of your life.  But he wouldn't want you to be unhappy.  He would understand what you are doing here."

"Are you sure daddy?" I asked, blinking back tears as the last bridesmaid disappeared down the aisle.

"I know so, baby," he said, beaming at me.  "Now, let's not keep this boy waiting any longer."

I nodded at the usher as he reached for the doorknob, slowly opening the door, revealing a crowd of well wishers.

I took a deep breath, keeping my focus on the man at the end of the aisle.

My future husband.  My best friend.  My forever.

My father pulled me forward, making me blush as I realized I hadn't moved an inch.  I tried to keep my walk straight and slow, but I felt my legs racing to see him.

As soon as I felt his hand in mine I got goosebumps.  I cautiously stepped beside him as he squeezed my fingertips.  The priests words were mute.  I couldn't hear anything beside the thrum of my heart and the excitement in my chest as I stared at him, and he stared back at me.

I didn't hesitate to say I do.

And I didn't hesitate to embrace him.

"Mrs. Woods," he finally said in a husky, low voice as I pulled away, breathless, welcomed by the roar of the crowd.

"Mr. Woods," I replied with a grin as he wrapped an arm around my waist, leading the bridal party out of the church.  I couldn't stop the grin on my lips as I looked up at him.

"I love you," he said softly, kissing my forehead as we stood outside the church, surrounded by hundreds of paparazzi.  I nodded, not needing to respond, pulling him in for a kiss.

~

Sorry for the long wait guys... It has been a hectic few weeks. But here are two updates in thanks for your patience (:

you guys rock

-Al