one

CHAPTER ONERIVER

CHAPTER ONE
RIVER

"Go!" My older sister Carmine yelled. I nodded and I obeyed instantly; knowing it was fully in my best intentions to do so. I jumped underneath a desk in the now messed up classroom, crunching up into a squatting position and getting ready to jump. I was only able to see the feet of the vessel in which were fighting Carmine, and I could tell it was anything but human. I clenched my jaw. We had a plan, and I was just waiting for my cue to get it on its way.

We needed to trap this demon alive.

We needed answers.

The capture of this demon was necessary if we wanted to get remotely any answers to the questions we've been asking for the past couple days. We've been tracking this demon for a while now, and today was the day we were going to catch it. The progression of the hunt depended on it. We were not in the position to fail now. We've gotten this far.

I'd been on the road with my sister for as long as I could remember. I didn't recall knowing who my parents were, nor could I recall knowing any other family members. It was one giant blank slate.

All that I have ever known was a life with just my sister, and honestly, I think it was for the best. In this world in which I was raised into, the less family you have, the less family you lose.

We were currently in an elementary school in Dallas, Texas, on another leg of the hunt. We'd been on a string of hunts in the hopes of gaining a lead on the newest leader of the demon army, Lilith. She was a demon in which was on another level of powerful; and was extremely dangerous. We needed to track her down kill her.

Although as much as we wanted to head straight for Lilith; we didn't have enough information on who the demon was; or rather; the strengths it withheld. We knew how powerful she must have been, by being the leader of the demon army, but her particular strengths were unknown.

The worst thing you can do when hunting down a demon with the powerful strength such as Lilith, is not know what they're capable of before hand. If you didn't know what you were up against, that would heavily ensure instant death.

The thing in which we were hunting today was a demon. It possessed some middle aged-janitor. I was thankful it wasn't one of the kids from the school itself. I'd rather fight a forty-year-old janitor than an eight-year-old second grader.

"Now!" She yelled and I pushed the man forward, causing him to turn to me with anger. His eyes shot black and his face angered. He ran towards me, following me to the centre of the classroom. I jumped over a desk, the demon just ramming past it, not seeming to neither care nor notice. The demon threw a punch, and I dodged it, kicking the man forward. The demon retaliated, pushing me into the cupboard of books, my back hitting the metal shelf causing me to yell out.