.CHAPTER(THREE) - Part 1/2

Journal of Advanced Applications for Algorithmic Intelligence

...again voted to prevent so-called 'next gen autonomous intelligences' from being marketed or sold. Exemptions previously granted to the five intelligences which oversee security for the nation's largest banks remained firmly in place however. Developed by Kruspe Industries, these independently operating algorithmic intelligences- known colloquially as Gahan, Gore, Fletcher, Clarke and Wilder- have successfully prevented any major cyber-attacks on the financial system since their deployment. Despite their spotless track record, additional exemptions to the bill continue to appear unlikely, and its supporters, ranging from labor unions, to wage policy groups to religious conservatives, celebrated today's decision as a "preservation of the American dream, values, and way of life... 

  .CHAPTER(THREE)

Quantum Computing's board room windows faced south, toward the Houston dykes. John watched as a distant city truck rumbled along the slick border streets towards the East River. He squinted and his contacts immediately adjusted his range of focus until he could make out the crumbling, grayish blue slums behind the inner floodwalls. A serrated horizon of putrefying cement stretched on for what seemed like miles.

"That's unacceptable," a voice was saying behind him. "If we don't recognize revenues this quarter we'll get slaughtered." Even facing the window, John recognized the voice as the man sitting at the head of the table. Jacob Sturm, Chief Financial Officer of Quantum Computing.

John did his best to shut out the argument taking place behind him. His thoughts drifted back to his recent meeting with Anya. She had agreed to help, but he doubted she had fully understood what he had asked of her. Or why he had asked it. Not unlike inmate 26319, in many ways John too was held prisoner for another man's actions. His relatively luxurious lifestyle could hardly be compared to the brutal conditions inmate 26319 had no doubt faced, but the truth of the situation remained. There had not been a day in John's life he had belonged to himself. His Alpha, the man he had been cloned from, had also been John Quantum, the founder of Quantum Computing. Frozen in stasis after his death, his DNA had been used to revive the figurehead of the company. But while John bore his Alpha's name and likeness, he was not that man. It was not his own life he had been born into.

"But a bigger bath now may be our best long term option," Susan Mulholland said, breaking into John's thoughts.

"If we can survive it," Arthur Lee said. Arthur was Quantum's Chief Technology Officer and the only member of the board who had ever treated John like anything more than corporate property.

It was hard for John not to imagine what life would have been like had things been different. If he had been born like the rest of the world, not into a collective of board members, but into a real family. He might have been sick, or poor. He might have starved to death as a child. He wouldn't even be the same person he was now, whoever that person was. But at least he would have been something, anything, that was uniquely himself.

"If we lump in the intangibles from the Nemotronic merger," Susan said, "shift some costs to research, we can reframe some of the operating losses—"

"File for a footnote exemption," Angela Flores said, cutting in, "and aggressively pitch the company as getting leaner and investing in the future."

"Good," Jacob said. "Have the regulatory team see about the footnote exemption. And PR has to be all over this. The shareholders should be happy."

John had heard enough. "Happy because they won't know you misled them," he said, still facing the window. He felt all twenty-four eyes in the room instantly train on the back of his head. He turned to face the board.

"We're just maintaining a consistent story," Susan said.

"The company narrative they chose to invest in," Angela said.

"Is that a problem?" Jacob asked.

"I don't know. Shouldn't they decide that for themselves?" John said.

For a moment Jacob's lips creased into a tight frown. Then his usual plastic smile was back, just as quickly, rows of perfectly white teeth flashing like sabers. "Why would the average shareholder care about such minutiae John? What they're investing in is the company legacy. Your legacy." He turned to Arthur who was sitting cross-armed beside him. "Arthur, what do you think?"

Arthur unfolded his arms and swept a handful of thinning, dark hair back over his forehead. His eyes had the permanent look of someone who had been wearing a pair of safety glasses and just removed them, though John could not recall having seen him actually wearing any. "Well—"

"This is your company," Jacob said, turning back to John. "With your name on it. Don't you want what's best for it?"

John considered trying to explain to Jacob that it was he who bore the company's name, not the other way around. The thought of further humiliating himself in front of the very people who had approved and overseen his creation kept him silent though. As CEO and founder incarnate they answered to him on paper, but everyone in the room knew the realities of the situation.

"You're right," John said through clenched teeth. "This is my company, which gives me a duty to my shareholders."

"It would be in their interest to avoid a panic sale," Arthur said halfheartedly. John glared at him.

Jacob placed his elbows on the desk and pressed his hands together. His fingertips turned slowly white. "I think this meeting is adjourned, reconvene at seven tomorrow morning."

The board members filed out in silence as John and Jacob remained rooted in place. Arthur was the last to leave. As he slipped past the door his eyes met John's. John saw him silently mouth what might have been, "Be careful." But then he was gone, and John couldn't be certain he had seen Arthur say anything at all.