The One (Cut scene from HFA)

Demi

A few weeks before Christmas, Joe & Blanda had a party like they have every year since they moved in together. Sometimes, they'd make it an ugly Christmas sweater party, sometimes they would make it a black tie event. This year, was a pajama party, so everyone cane dressed in their favorite jammies. Nick & I decided to take a pair of flannel pajamas & I wore the top & he wore the bottoms. The set was red & green plaid & Nick wore a red tshirt with his bottoms. I wore green sweat pants with my top. Everyone thought we were adorable & I had to agree.

Close to the end of the night, I was standing by the table of food & beverages, getting some punch. Joe & a few of his friends were standing behind me, not realizing I was there. One of Joe's friends, Brandon, had just started dating a girl the month before & they were all talking about it. He had been single for quite a while, so it came as a shock that he got serious with someone so quickly.

"I'm telling you, she is the one." I heard Brandon say.

Joe laughed. "Like that hasn't been said a million times by guys since the beginning of time."

Kyle laughed. "Seriously. I mean look at Nick. He said that about Olivia & now he's married to someone else."

My heart felt like it stopped when Joe chuckled. "Exactly. Nick gushed to our whole family, that first Christmas, about how she was the one." I turned to see Joe do the air quotes when he said 'the one.' 

Brandon laughed, then his eyes saw me & his face froze as he stared at me. I could feel my body get warm & a lump form in my throat. A few moments later, all the guys turned to look at what Brandon was staring at & their faces fell when they saw me standing there & realized I heard the whole conversation. 

I managed a smile & held up my red Solo cup, with my eyebrows raised. "Merry Christmas." I sang & then walked away. I didn't want to be around anyone for a moment. I worked my way through the party guests & headed out the front door. Once outside, I took several deep breaths & then sat on the cement step. I kept the tears from coming, surprisingly, but my heart still ached a little. Nick referred to Olivia as 'the one.' I wasn't sure how to feel about this. I was married to him, so I should be gloating, but at the same time my feelings were hurt that he would think anyone, besides me, was 'the one.' He said I was 'the one' to his family & friends the first time we dated. 

A door slamming brought me back from my thoughts. I looked up to see Nick standing above me, a look of confusion on his face. "Joe told me I needed to come talk to you & he apologized on behalf of him & Brandon for saying something so stupid & not making sure you weren't around." Nick sighed & sat on the stoop next to me. "What the hell did they say that upset you?" Nick put his arm on my thigh & his hand slipped between my knees.

I shrugged, smiling, sheepishly at Nick. "It's nothing. I'm fine. I'm not upset."

"EIther you tell me or I go find my brother & make him tell me. Either way, I am finding out tonight." Nick said in a stern tone, looking up at the sky.

"Fine." I sighed. "Brandon said Bethany is the one & then Kyle said something about you saying that Olivia was the one & then Joe said you told everyone that first Christmas you were together that she was the one." I let my voice trail off & didn't look at Nick's face. I was embarassed now, that I was eavesdropping.

Nick inhaled, slowly, then let out the breath as he put his arm behind me & leaned into me a little. His head was closer to mine, now & I could feel his eyes on me as well as his warm breath through my shirt. "I did say that." Nick finally said. His other hand took mine & he linked our fingers together. His thumb played with my wedding ring set. "I put a ring on your finger, though, because you really were the one." Nick's eyes met mine. "I never thought Olivia was the one. I always knew you were. But there was a part of me that thought maybe I'd never ever be with you again, so maybe I had to pick second best. To me that was Olivia. But I actually started telling my friends & family that she was the one because I wanted them to stop asking about you. It hurt too much."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The first few months Olivia & I dated, I would get bombarded with questions. Are you & Demi really over? Didn't you move too fast with Olivia? Do you think you & Demi will get back together? They never asked in front of Olivia, of course, but whenever I was alone the questions would hit me. So I started saying she was the one. Basically, she was the one who I'd settle for if you ended up moving on. If you would have gotten married she would have been the one." Nick smirked & looked adorable.

I swallowed, then smiled. "Really?"

"Really. Never did I think she was the one. Maybe the second, but never the one." Nick smiled, slightly. His lips covered mine in a sweet kiss & I sighed beneath them.

"Good answer." I smiled at him. "You were always the one, for me, too."