Missing Heart - Chapter Three

"Grandmother. I told you! I want what is rightfully mine!" The Duke of Wrightwood fumed, as he entered the library and threw himself onto his velveted, desk chair.

"Nathaniel, you are sounding like your father." A soft voice chimed. The Dowager Duchess of Wrightwood, sat in a chair by the fireplace, drinking a cup of tea.

"Father is a smart man, I meant, was a smart man before he passed." He corrected himself, brushing his hand through his dark, brown locks.

"Harold was smart, yet stubborn." The Dowager, Julia Thomas, reminded him. She was very pretty, for a woman in her mid-seventies, apart from the wrinkles that were on her face. She had been a beautiful debutante only fifty years before. " I can not understand your constant fascination with your late Lady Kenna."

"You know that I do not believe that she is dead-"

"You never met the girl. Nathaniel, London is full of young ladies. Can you just marry one of them? I could help to set you up with one." The Dowager Duchess inquired, taking another sip of tea. "I do not see-"

"I was promised Lady Kenna, but aside from that, I was promised her dowery." Nathaniel reminded her, straightening his broad shoulders.

"I am sure that other women have dowries too. In addition, they are breathing and that is more than you can say about Kenna Howard. You already have a flawless townhouse and country estate. What more do you want, you have plenty of money?" The Dowager snapped. It was true, Wrightwood Manor was a beautiful home in the center of London. Marvelous, golden furniture and white, marble statues were located in every corner. The ton knew the house for its beauty and the hospitality of its owner. Grand balls and dinner parties were being thrown consistently, just as the servants cleaned from one they were setting up for another.

"They never found her body and her bloody father was too poor to pursue the investigation. Not to mention, I believe that he was involved with the whole thing. What kind of father forgets about his only child." He sneered, running his hand through his hair, again, a habit he had taken to when he was angry.

"Her father is now in a debtor's prison. You know that the girl would not have a dowery, even if you manage to find her."

If? Nathaniel thought to himself. I am going to find her. This was not a matter of the dowery, as his grandmother thought. Ever since he was a young child, he had felt responsible for his missing bride. He had blamed himself for whatever happened to her, considering that they were to be married.

"See, Nathaniel, you have no reason to keep looking for her." His Grandmother broke the silence, and though it was true, he could not bring himself to forget about the girl. He had never met her, and probably never would, but he could not imagine marrying anyone else.

Was he crazy? No, he could not be crazy. Right? He thought. One day, I will find her and apologize for all the time that she was missing. Perhaps, she will come to one of the parties. He had been throwing constant parties and balls, hoping one day she would attend, and though he knew it was nearly impossible to think she would come, he did anyway.

"I am planning to take up a visit with that bloody fool-" Nathaniel started before he was interrupted.

"The Earl of Withermore?"

"If you could call him that. He was stripped of his title prior to entering the workhouse. I think of him, as Edward Howard. He does not deserve the respect that an Earl is given." He replied, fire in his blue eyes.

"Will that do any good? He has already said he knows nothing of what happened. Your father would not have wanted you to keep dragging this on. Soon the ton will think that you crazy. How will you find a match then?" The Dowager insisted, grabbing her cane to help her stand. She moved to her grandson and placed her wrinkled hand on his finely, clothed shoulder.

"Father was really the one that started this and he would have wanted me to finish it. Can you not understand that?" Nathaniel looked up at her with a slight mixture of desperation and anger. "I will not give up until I know for sure. You of all people should know that."

"Stubborn, just like your Father." She shook her head, one of her perfect, white curls, falling out of the updo on the top of her head. "Please think about what I am trying to say."

"Pray tell. What is that?" Nathaniel thundered, shifting his body to pull away from his grandmother's touch.

"There are plenty of debutantes entering society. They would be a good pick for you, Nathaniel. You are an eligible match for so many of them. A wife and children would suit you well. You are not getting younger, this childhood fantasy of you being the knight in shining armor, it is childish."

"I am glad you are so willing to share your opinion, Grandmother. I will think about it, but until then, I am still planning on finding her." Nathaniel turned away from her, letting out a breath of air he had forgotten he was holding. He could hear the clicking sound of Julia's cane, as she left the library.

He looked down at his desk, staring at the hard, dark wood. The spirals and swirls of the lush wood used to make the piece. It was like a piece of art, not a piece of useful furniture. She will love it here when I find her. He smiled to himself, letting himself think of a possible future that would never come true.

.......

Did you like it?

You just met our main man for the second time (Although the first was not really meeting him).

Do you like Nathaniel or do you think he is crazy?

I am really excited to write about his character. Not gonna lie, there is more to him than meets the eye.

Next chapter, you will get some more Beatrice.

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

I love to hear from all of you! SO LITERALLY TELL ME ANYTHING!

Thank you for all the comments on the last few chapters. It means so, so much to me! I am so lucky to have you guys backing me up! So once again, THANK YOU!

Nat