1

"Bastion? Why do you keep this broken rock with you?"
Angie asks as she holds the shard of opal admiring it's shining surface against the glow of the setting sun.
"I had it, ever since I was a baby, it's important to me, I.... don't know why, but it is." Bastion says as they relax under a tall palm tree atop the hill overlooking the beach side city of Gandros.
The sun continues to set in the darkening purple sky, the stars slowly peeking out behind the crescent moon above. The salty ocean wind plays around with Bastion's soft dreadlocks as he stares intensely into the evening sky.
Angie rests her head onto his shoulder, taking his hand into hers.

"The nightmares are haunting you again," she says with much empathy, "I can tell. Bastion if you need anything I--"
"There's nothing you can do." He snaps. His words stunning her as she grips his hand tighter, calming him down.
"At first it was in my dreams, now I feel it all the time, hiding in the darkness."

He stares down at the shard of opal hanging around his neck, taking it in his hand.
"Ms. Shae tells me its nothing, but I feel like there's alot she's not telling me"
"Maybe it's to protect you?" She says with concern.
"I think it's hurting me more than helping."
He stands up, walking slowly to the edge of the hill.
"Bastion I-- nevermind," she says as struggles to find the magic words that could rid him of his suffering.

"Another night," he thinks to himself as he looks deeply up into the star studded darkness.
A tear falls onto the waving grass below as he digs his face into the palm of his hand, and begins to weep.
The sound of his pain disturbs Angie, her heart drops at the manifestation of his suffering.
"How can nightmares hurt one person so much, especially someone as strong as him?" She thinks to herself.
She makes a fist, gripping the grass under her hand. The frustration building inside herself as she fails to understand the source of her best friend's pain.

Taking a deep breath, she calmly stands up, and walks up behind him.
"It's gonna be OK," she says softly, wrapping her arms around him, resting her high cheekbones on his back.
"Bastion I- I know I don't understand, an- I.. I know I can't  make this go away, but.... I'll stand by your side until this ends, I'll stand by you and protect you as much as I can, because Bastion, you're strong, you're glorious, and no matter what you go through, you always come out with your head held high." She says holding him tighter, her tears rolling down the back of his leather jacket.
"That's why I love you.. because.. there's no one like you, you're divine."
Those loving words pierced through him, "have... have I, heard that before?" He thinks to himself.
He lifts his head up high as she holds him, locking her hands in front of him.
He turns around, breaking her embrace, staring into her deep green eyes, her short curly hair messy from pressing up against him.
"Thank you," he says before kissing her, the feeling of his lips sending shockwaves through her.
"W- we... we never kissed before!!" She thinks to herself, "wh- what.. do I... am I doing it right?"
Bastion smiles at the shocked look on her face, his brown eyes seemingly taunting her as a red glow permeates from her vanilla cheeks.
"You're blushing, in ten years I don't think I've ever saw that," he says.
"I.... I.. Bastion look" she says pointing at the glowing opal shard.
Bastion looks on in awe as the stone shimmers brightly under the light of the crescent moon. A feeling of happiness engulfs them both, before a purple smokey substance, accompanied by the putrid smell of death rises up from Angie's shadow, surrounding her.
"What the hell? what's happening?" Bastion says as the smoke takes the form of a human woman, with gray skin, straight black hair in a ponytail and glowing red eyes. Her arms wrapped around Angie from behind, she smiles as she holds her saber against a trembling Angie's neck, who breathes heavily looking at Bastion with terror in her eyes.

"So this is the last Scion, a boy eh," she says staring at the opal around his neck, "What hath the Goddesses gotten themselves into to inherit such a curse?
"Scion? what the hell is she talking about?" he says to himself. "That face, those eyes, she's... from my nightmares."
"Listen up scion!! Your time is coming soon, we will end your bloodline, and put an end to this curse once and for all," she says throwing her saber at Bastion as her and Angie turn into the smokey substance, disappearing back into Angie's shadow,
Bastion guards himself, as the saber is about to slice through him, he let's out a desperate yell before closing his eyes.

He opens his eyes to find himself sitting up in his bed and covered in sweat. His hands still stretched out in front, guarding him. The echoes from his yells can be heard bouncing from the walls of the large candlelit room.
"Another... Another nightmare?" he says breathing heavily, trying to  make sense of what just  happened.
The crashing of the ocean waves against the old castle walls calms him slightly, and he goes out onto the balcony to gather his thoughts.

A little backstory...

B&GC was inspired from anime, in particular magical girl anime like Madoka Magica, and Sailor moon. While you may not see any strong influences from those, I wrote this I'm an attempt to put my own spin on the genre.

More info will be presented after each chapter...

Once again, thanks for reading and please don't forget to vote and comment!!!