Fifteen Years Later

Fifteen years had passed since that fateful day. World had turned into a living hell for those who survived. Fifteen years since the last time John saw his kids. He wonders if they are still alive but if they do, where are they? Some survivors able to rebuild their life and made a few settlements across the states. Cities are filled with mutants and government built several labs to conduct their experiment. "For what?" John asked himself. Why are they even release the virus in the first place. He met a few survivors but didn't intend to stay with them as he prefer to be alone. He always told himself not to trust anyone. The government, the resistance, the survivors, the mutants. 

After scavenging throughout a small town he stumbled upon, he sat himself and rest his back against a concrete wall. He took out a few supplies that he had and decided to make himself a bonfire for him to survive the night. He set a few trap in case of an ambush by mutants or humans. After done with everything, he lie down on makeshift bed and take out a photo that he kept in his jacket. His family photo. Everytime he look at it, he smiles and then slowly the smile fade away and sadness takes place. His wife was killed and his kids were gone. 

A ray of sunlight beams into his eyes wakes him up. Another day to live with. He packs his things up and leave. After several hours of walking, he found a small town that he never went before. The town is barricaded with pillars of wood and there's only one gate which is guarded by two outposts. When he want to went through the gates, a guard shout for him to stop and he raise his hand up.

Guard : Stop right there! Put your hands in the air and wait for me.

John : [sigh] Alright.

The guards open the gate and one guard approaches John and check throughout his body. They took his weapons and gears but leave the supplies inside his bag.

Guard : Alright, you're good to go.

John : Can I have those back?

Guard : Not until you're leaving.

John : Alright then. Take a good care of them.

John went through the gate and the guards closed the gate behind him. The town is small and barely have fifty people in it. A small bar is not far from him and went there for information.

He opens the door and people are looking at him, then they resume doing what they are doing

He opens the door and people are looking at him, then they resume doing what they are doing. John sits near the bartender and asking any info regarding his kids.

John : Do you know any white boy that came here with a girl who he refers as sister?

Bartender : I'm afraid I can't help you since so many people just come and go.

John : Anyone name Jake McGrady?

Bartender : I guess I heard that name before.

John : You sure?! Where are they?!

Bartender : Calm down. Like I said, people come and go.

John : I'm sorry. 

Bartender : Any drinks?

John : Whiskey.

Bartender : Here you go.

John : Alright, thanks.

John leave the bar and went straight to a small camp area where most temporary visitors sleep. He's asking around as if anyone know Jake or ever heard of Jake. The light of his hope getting dimmer as people denied every question he asked. Until one guy, who wore a scarf as his mask with skull painted on it.

John : Tell me, what did you know. And your name is...?

Ghost : Ghost.

John : Go fuck yourself. Who the fuck are referring himself as the game character? Act cool?

Ghost : I wore a mask and I'm a mercenaries. Former soldier and I wore this fucking mask to scare the enemy off. Got it? 

John : Alright, alright. Tell me what you know about Jake.

Ghost : If you refers to Jake McGrady, he was here few weeks ago with his sister. They were looking for a group who willing to eradicate mutants

John : What? 

Ghost : Since nobody was willing to give their life to do stupid things, they went out there alone.

John : Where?

Ghost : There's a nearby lair that infested with mutants.

John : Why the fuck are they want to mess with mutants.

Ghost : I guess you didn't know then.

John : Didn't know what?!

Ghost : Government are experimenting and the mutants are their living subjects. Their product? A stronger, smarter and faster type of mutant.

John : Tell me more.

Ghost : Everyone know that fifteen years ago that th-

John : Make it short.

Ghost : The virus were intended to evolve those who has superior gene in their DNA but for those who weak...

John : Will become brainless creature.

Ghost : Yes. 

John : That'll do it. 

Ghost : I'll go with you.

John : Why?

Ghost : At least you need someone to cover you.

John : No, thanks. I prefer going in alone.

Ghost : They haven't return from the lair, for five days. At least let me cover your escape route.

John : Alright. 

The nightfall then the sunrise and both of them are retrieving their gears from the guards. The guards open the gate and they went out. After an hour of walking, they found the lair. Ghost gives a few magazine for John to ward off any mutants he found in there. John, equipped with a rifle and makeshift torch

 John, equipped with a rifle and makeshift torch

The deeper he ventures in, the darker it gets. Distant roar and growl can be heard. Each step he took, might be his last. When the sound are getting louder which mean he getting nearer to the mutants suddenly the sound stop. So does him. He feels suspicious and decide to turn on his light from the rifle. Suddenly a mutant pops from the darkness and pounce on him. He shove the mutant off and grab a machete from his belt. He cuts the mutant in half. Then, he heard a distant cry for help. He rush toward the sound and he found a girl who carry unconscious person behind he back. As he looks closer, the girl's face resemble someone he know.

John : L-L-Lena?!

The silence is broken by the roar of mutants and they can feel the ground is shaking. John shine the path with his torchlight and horde of mutants are coming for them.

End of Part 3