Dr. Angelos M. Stergiou: What is Biomedical Engineering?

Dr. Angelos M. Stergiou, MD, ScD h.c. is the CEO, Vice Chairman and Founder of SELLAS Life Sciences Group and a passionate biotechnologist.

Biotechnology, and "bio jobs" of all types, are quickly gaining popularity thanks to modern professionals like Dr. Angelos M. Stergiou, MD, ScD h.c. Among the most popular, and the most promising, is biomedical engineering, or the application of problem-solving technology and technique to medicine. If you're considering biomedical engineering, or any bio career, the information below might help you decide if it's the right path for you.

Career Options. Biomedical engineering careers are among the most promising healthcare paths. Career options are growing steadily and available positions are nearly endless in today's world. Whether you choose to focus on stem cell engineering, orthopedic repair, biomaterials, neuromodulation devices or another "bio field," a comprehensive skillset and quality education will open the doors to a number of opportunities.

Salary. As of 2016, the average salary of a biomedical engineer in the United States was $91,760. Many biomedical engineers make twice that, or more, on an annual basis based on their employers, specializations and education quality.

The education required to become a biomedical engineer is intensive, and you must be dedicated to your choice if you hope to succeed, but in the words of Dr. Angelos M. Stergiou, you must "keep dreaming and keep on going. Make your dreams a reality, and after difficult times, always get back up."