Why?

When I get home, I'm furious. Apparently my Dad asked Dylan to keep an eye on me at school. Something about a Warning message from other spies. Some threats were made and blah, blah, blah. I sit at the dining room table and complete my homework or at least try to. I hear the door open and my dad comes in, a woman trailing behind him. I glare at my Dad and he smiles sympathetically. He knows I know.
"Hey, Jules."
Oh no, he's about to tell me something bad. He hasn't called me Jules since he told me about my mom. The woman that he brought in with him is smiling awkwardly with her hands in front of her. I can see the glint of an engagement ring. The guy she's going to marry is very lucky. She's beautiful with bright blue eyes and short blonde hair. She must be about my dad's age and she's a bit shorter than him.
"Is everything all right?" I ask him worriedly.
"Everything's fine. Did you see my note?" He sits across from me and the woman joins him.
I nod my head and gulp. This is taking agonisingly slowly. I want to shout at him to get a move on but I know better. I fiddle with my Mom's wedding ring.
"I need to talk to you about something. Well, actually. We need to talk to you about something." He waves to the woman and then places his hand on top of hers.
"This is Erica. My fiancée."
~
I run.
I run to the woods and don't look back. Why? Why didn't he tell me? Why does he even have a new soon-to-be wife? Why?

I stop and place my hands on my knees and look at the ground. I still need to catch my breath. I close my eyes and focus on the sound of the birds chirping in the fading sunlight. I need to talk to someone. Someone who isn't my Dad.

Luckily I brought my phone with me. I don't know how I managed to not drop it while running. I open my Contacts and pick the first name I see. Liam.
He picks up on the fourth ring.
"Hello?"
"Liam," I say in a small voice,"I need to talk to you. In person."
"Where are you?"
"I'm in the woods. Just at the beginning of the path." I can feel my eyes fill with tears. A few run down my face.
"I'll be there in 10."
He hangs up and I'm left all alone with my thoughts.
~
Liam arrived exactly 10 minutes later like he said. He runs toward me and pulls me in for a hug. I give him a little squeeze.
"Is everything okay?" He pulls back.
"M-my Dad is e-engaged." I manage to choke out.
Liam pats my back and takes ahold of my hand. We walk towards a clearing with a big tree in the middle and lean against it.
"He never e-even t-told me."
Liam listens to my every word and doesn't say anything, so I continue...
"I t-though he was h-happy with just t-the t-two of us. I don't u-understand. W-why?"
Liam silently brings me in for another hug, which I accept gratefully. I can't go back home tonight. I just can't.
"Liam?"
"Mhmm."
I pause for just a second and think. Should I ask?
"I need a place to stay tonight."