The Night Hunt

Slowly Saluki learned the ways of the forest. She watched the northern lights that sometimes graced the sky at night, she hunted with the pack, and she swam in the River Ranora with Seneko and Loki.
Asgeird Ridge was her home.

Summer passed in a blur of sun, warmth, and happiness. Then winter arrived.
Saluki first noticed the change in the air when she was getting a drink at the river. She was picking her way over the stones on the bank to head to Pine Meadow where Terra was waiting, when there was a cold blast of air in her face. The air smelled sharp and brittle, but she ignored it at first.
Saluki looked to her left into the water for a split second and gasped. In the water was her mother, gazing back at her with startling blue eyes.
Saluki moved to the left and so did her mother. With a start she realized that it was her reflection. She was the spitting image of her mother.
Saluki looked into the cloudy sky and imagined her mother somewhere up there, watching her progress with a smile.
When she arrived at Pine Meadow, Terra bit her playfully on the ear.
"What took you so long?"
Saluki bowed on her front legs and wagged her long white tail in the air. Then the cold air rushed past her nose again. Her forehead furrowed. "Did you smell that?"
"What?" Terra asked.
"It's...cold," Saluki offered.
"Ahh," Terra smiled grimly. "Winter."
"What's winter?" Saluki yipped. She looked around, expecting to see some sort of threat.
"When the leaves come off every tree except for the ones in this Meadow. The river turns hard and the snow comes down."
"Well, that's not so bad," Saluki said. She couldn't wait to see the "snow," whatever that was.
Terra began to walk back in the direction of the den.
"Not so fast, Saluki. The food disappears," she said quietly. "And the death sticks come into the forest. Winter is hard."
Saluki had no idea what Terra was talking about, but had no reason not to believe her. Winter suddenly didn't seem so exciting.
"What are death sticks?" Saluki whispered.
"Humans carry them and use them to kill the deer and rabbits. Also us, if we get in their way."
*****************************
When they arrived at the den, Omar was waiting for them.
"Hello," he said graciously. "Anything new?"
Terra and Saluki had been on a scouting trip around the perimeter of their territory.
"Nothing," Terra said. "However, Saluki caught a scent. Winter's coming. We should set the guidelines."
Saluki looked at Omar curiously, who offered no explanation of "the guidelines."
"Come inside," Bliss called from where she was lying inside. "You'll catch cold."
Saluki did notice that the air was chillier. She trotted inside. Loki and Seneko were talking near the back of the den. Saluki still couldn't believe how big she and Loki had gotten since they arrived. They were 8 Moons, almost a year. And Seneko, well, his paws and nose had only gotten bigger, and more awkward.
"Gather round," Omar's voice called. The wolves assembled around Omar, Bliss and Alpine sitting together, Fern and Terra having a hushed discussion. The three young ones were the last to join.
"It's time to set the guidelines," Omar said. "Winter is on its way, as you can see," he leaned toward the entrance of the den. "The leaves are turning."
He was right, as Saluki looked outside. The redwoods were an array of sunset colors.
"Winter, as most of you know, is the time when humans enter the forest. With them are the death sticks. During this time, no one goes outside the clearing unless absolutely necessary, and always with someone else. Hunting parties will show the utmost caution."

Saluki gulped. Loki looked terrified.
"They won't kill us, will they?" Loki asked.
"They will," said Omar. "Oh, they will. Tonight we'll have a whole pack hunt, except for Bliss and Alpine, who will guard the den. It'll be our last free hunt of the season."
"Always leaving me behind," Alpine chuckled. She didn't really look mad.
"I trust you with the den, Alpine, and to protect my beloved Bliss," Omar said kindly. Bliss smiled at them warmly. Saluki didn't know why Bliss was left behind as well, but she suspected it had something to do with her belly being a little more round than usual.

The evening arrived quickly. Omar paced back and forth, muttering plans to himself. His black tail rippled like a flag.  Saluki stood next to Seneko and Loki.
"How does he know there won't be death sticks in the forest now?" Loki asked anxiously. Her elegant grey tail wagged nervously.
"We'll protect you," Seneko boasted.  He bowed on his front legs and nipped her gently. Loki rolled her eyes. Saluki remembered when she and her sister were on the journey to Asgeird Ridge. Loki had saved her life when she held off the mountain lion. Saluki wondered if they were really in danger, Loki would protect them instead of the opposite.
"Hunters, gather round!" Omar barked.
Saluki shook her smooth white coat. It was getting thicker as the weather grew colder.
"Saluki, Seneko, I want you to go around the eastern portion of the forest. Fern, Loki, and Terra will be in the west side. I will drive the prey into the ambush."
"What's the prey?" Fern asked.
"There is usually a gathering of deer in Pine Meadow at this time."
The wolves set out. Saluki followed Seneko into the forest.
"Come on, Luki," Seneko called over his shoulder as he stumbled over a rock.
"Don't call me that."
They trotted into position. They were in a small clearing. A rotting log was to their backs, and they faced in the direction of Pine Meadow, which was barely visible through the trees. They were downwind of where Omar and the deer would be.
"Have you ever seen snow?" Saluki questioned Seneko, who had his snout stuck in the end of the dead log.
"Me?" He yelped as he knocked his head against the top of the log. "Nah, I'm only a few months older than you. But mom says that it's white, like you, wet, and heavy." 

Saluki shrugged and turned back to face Pine Meadow. In the dimming light there wasn't much to see, but she could smell Omar's scent and the scent of many deer. Suddenly there was a cracking of leaves and a short bark.  A single deer separated itself from the herd and bounded toward where Seneko and Saluki were hidden, pursued by a great black figure that was Omar.
"Get ready," Saluki whispered, here muscles tense. Three more figures raced across the woods towards the panicked deer. It came closer, closer-

A sharp howl pierced the air behind Saluki, making all her hackles raise. She turned to see three wolves standing on the log. Their obvious leader was in the front. He looked disturbingly like Omar, but had dark grey fur instead of black. His two companions were grey, and their lips lifted in snarls.
The deer swept past Saluki but she made no move. Both she and Seneko backed up slowly, petrified by the other wolves glare. He growled and the two wolves tensed. Then they leaped toward the two young wolves, fangs bared.
They never got there.
Two grey streaks intercepted them in midair, while a brown and white flash leapt toward the leader. Loki and Fern brought the two wolves to the ground and snapped at their throats menacingly. Terra knocked the dark grey male off the log, where they rolled over and over on the ground.
"Loki!" Saluki yipped as her sister tussled with the strange wolf. Saluki wanted to help, but she got no chance. The loudest howl she had ever heard resonated through the air, and Omar stepped into view, looking terrifying and brave in the moonlight. All three fights stopped and all eyes turned to Omar.
"Firenze," Omar boomed. "Step away from my wolves, and take your minions."
The two grey wolves cowered in fear and scuttled back to their leader. Firenze growled low in his throat.
"My pack is back, and we intend to take this land for our own," he said. "You would be wise to leave now."
"Never," Omar replied. "We are stronger than you think. We'll find you and stop you. Violence is not what we need, not with the humans coming into the forest."
"Come on," Firenze barked sharply to his companions. They trotted off into the night.
"Who were they?" Terra asked nervously. She was bleeding from several small cuts on her shoulders.
"Later," Omar said curtly. Seneko and Saluki joined the others.
"You saved our lives," Seneko said meekly.
"You would have done the same for us," Fern said kindly.
"Thank you," Saluki said. "Do you know who they were?"
"I have an idea," Fern said, but offered no more information.
They headed back to the den.