Chapter Three

1993 - Mystic Falls, Virginia

   It turned out to be their thing. The old diner at the outskirts of town was the place Florence Gilbert and Stefan Salvatore spent their time in. Unlike The Grill, which was closer to both of their homes, that diner seemed better for the pair. Stefan would pick her up, and they would listen to music and sing along as he drove to the diner. Allison, their waitress from the first night they went, already knew their order by heart and when they would arrive. She knew that the little booth by the far window was their table.

   Florence had lied to her parents every time she would leave the house with Stefan. She would tell them that she was with Bob and Cher at Charles Fells' house. Lucky for her, the three were willing to lie and come up with something when Mrs. Gilbert bumped into them downtown. The youngest Gilbert was forever thankful at her best friends for those little white lies.

   "What is there to do in Mystic Falls in the summer?" Stefan asked, hands in his pockets and a smile on his lips. He was looking down at Florence, who had a pensive look in her eyes.

   "There's a swimming hole near," she said, quickly glancing at him before looking back down at her shoes. "It's probably full with underage drinkers. Oh, there's also the bowling alley a few blocks from here." She looked up at him and gave him a sarcastic smile. "We can get a job."

   Stefan laughed, his voice ringing around her and causing her heart to act all silly. "Yeah, a job sounds good."

   "I was kidding," she frowned. "Please, tell me you knew I was kidding."

   "I knew you were kidding," he smiled. "It's the summer before your senior year, Florence. I doubt that you'd want to spend it working."

   "I am working," she defended. "I'm working on the career I don't want." She pulled the strap of her bag higher on her shoulder and frowned. Ever since 9AM, she had been at the school's swimming pool practising. Her shoulders and legs were hurting from the numerous laps she had done in past six hours.

   Stefan took a step in front of her. "Why don't you stop, then?"

   She stared at him. "You've met my parents, right?" She raised her brows and smiled as she shook her head. "It's the only thing I'm good at, Stefan. I'm only good at swimming." She sucked in a breath between her teeth. "I'm not even good at being a good friend."

   Florence Gilbert knew that she had stopped being a good friend the moment she met Stefan. She had stopped hanging out with her friends since then, and she had regretted it, but then she remembered how Cher had done it so many times whenever she got a new boy in her life. The blonde girl would leave her behind the moment her eyes landed on the next cute boy to pass in front of her. For that, Florence had hated those moments when a boy would come into her life. But, she felt that Stefan was different. He had met her best friends, he had become good friends with them, but he just spent more time with Florence.

   "Don't say that," Stefan said, giving her a small smile. "You don't look like a bad friend."

   She let out a scoff and rolled her eyes. "You've known me for a few weeks. Cher and Bob have known me since we began the first grade and Cher took my cookies so Bob came to the rescue."

   "That sounds adorable," the boy mumbled.

   It made her smile. It made her stomach do a flip and her heart act all silly. She rolled her eyes. "Shut up," she chuckled. "Okay, but, seriously. Can we grab a bite? After six hours of doing laps, I'm starving."

   Stefan laughed, but nodded. "I'll buy," he said. "My treat. What will it be, burgers?"

  "I'll buy today," she said as she pulled a scrunched up twenty from her pocket. "You've paid for me for the last few days."