Epilogue

Epilogue

Call it mother's intuition, a sixth sense, or just paranoia, something pulls me from a sound sleep.

Like any other night, the room feels bigger, empty, with just me in it. I rub my face tiredly. Nothing's coming from the baby monitor, so Fallon has to be asleep. But I'm waiting for her to start crying and help me lose the sleep I could be getting right now.

After some quiet time, my eyes fall back closed, but my brain tells me something's up. Fallon is never this quiet. Something's going on.

Though I'm groggy beyond belief, I drag myself out of bed and pick up a gun and flashlight. Some habits are hard to get rid of, especially with my bloodline. You need to take the necessary precautions to protect your family.

I pad down the hall, gun and flashlight out front so I can see in the dark. I always keep Fallon's door open just a crack so I don't smack head-first into it. It makes me feel like I can get to her quicker.

Trying to not make any sound, I slowly push Fallon's bedroom door open. I stiffen, licking my lips out of nerves. Someone's hanging over her crib, and I can't tell who it is. I flick off the flashlight, tucking it away. I keep the gun out in front as I push the door open a little more.

The figure's back is to me. If Crowley screwed me over on our deal...

I stop as the stranger picks his head up. I'm prepared to shoot, but I worry if he's got Fallon out of her crib. I don't want to risk shooting my baby.

"Away from the crib, sicko," I snarl, cocking the gun to a kill shot.

He obliges, but when he turns, I lower the weapon and breathe easy. Excitement runs through me, and I cross to him, holding him tight. He smells like the outdoors, like faint traces of blood. Oddly enough, that's comforting. He's normalcy.

"Hey, Cassie," I whisper into his shoulder.

"One of these days, you'll stop trying to shoot me."

"That day will be never." I pull his face down to kiss him softly. "I missed you."

"I would've come back sooner..."

"No, I get it." I shake my head. "It's okay; I've been faring pretty well on my own." I move around him to loom over Fallon's crib. "We both have." I dip my head. "But, of course, I worry."

"You protect her."

I lean against him. "I worry that someday, one day, I won't be able to."

"Well, by then she should be grown and able to handle her own."

I smile. "Now I remember why we're a match: you see the good in my worry."

"Someone has to."

I notice the change in his face. "What, Cas?"

"I want to give you something."

I feel it press into the palm of my hand. It's a vial, with some glowing blue substance in it. It's wispy, so it's not some sort of serum. But I know I've seen this wispy thing before, somewhere...

I scrunch my eyes at Cas in confusion. "What's this supposed to be?"

"My Grace. All of it."

I nearly startle myself and drop the vial onto the floor. Did he say that right? "Your...Grace?"

Cas nods. "I remember the discussion we had, about our future. How you asked me if I would consider giving up being an angel and become human."

But that conversation was so long ago. I remember it clearly, though: Cas had just helped me lose my demon side. We'd spent some rough times in that bunker during my recovery and his. My mouth parts in astonishment. He's human again, just as he was the day I met him. "This is all of it?"