Alliances

Chapter 2

Yamaken closed the door for his office with a sigh. The day so far was taxing, Clarice was still the little viper she always was so he carried many bruises from trying to soothe her ruffled pride. Not that he did not like it. It was just tiring this way.

It had been hours, Mikasa had to have come back by now. It would have been a success. It always was, it was just as if he had gone instead. Except a man of his position could not go on each of these little transactions so she was his stand in.

One answerable to only him. She would be hated for it, distrusted for it, alienated for it. Meaning she only had him to turn to.

His father knew exactly what he was doing. All these years later and Yamaken found himself still admiring his father.

The intelligence he possessed, the strength, the charisma. All things Yamaken envied his father for possessing. The man seemed infinite, he never had just one plan no matter how fail proof it was. His ideals was what made them last so long.

His father was the guiding light for his generation now it was time for Yamaken to be one. It would not be easy. Yamaken winced just thinking about it. Right now, his position was very feeble but it was up to him to stabilize it.

Personally, he thought he was doing a good job. Nodding to a few lower-class men as they saluted him in the corridor he assured himself.

He was keeping the money flow on a stable slow rise that would be able to cushion any real fall. He was keeping the death count acceptable, he was financing where he should be and he was slowly making noticeable moves in the normal world.

Everything should be going smooth but he had a gut feeling about certain Dons. Their greed and mistrust was what could tear down their whole foundation they had worked hard for.

Turning the corridor to his wing, he was witness to Mikasa just getting ready to enter her side of apartments that she shared with her mother.

Her gaze flicked over him in distain before she slammed her door behind her. He felt a small splash of amusement wash over him because of her actions.

The night had gone well then. Her usual sassiness was back, how long it would stay because of the atmosphere she was about to walk into he could not guess.

Her one reason for staying and not running had to be the most depressing person he had ever met. Since he first saw, her all he could liken Mikasa’s mother to was living death. A real living souless body.

She did not cry or scream. She no longer begged, from the reports he received it was almost like she had died sometime back and her body was never given notice so her heart kept beating and her lungs kept expanding and contracting.

To live like she did and then go back to something like that. He did not envy Mikasa one bit. His life was hard enough as it was. He had to be thinking tirelessly. Then he had to be planning at least a few steps ahead.

Everything had to be prioritized. He had to know everything, sometimes it felt like everything was in his brain. He would not lie however, he loved it.

********************************************************************************

He did not have what people called friends in his life but he was not an island. In his board meeting he prepared to enjoy what was going to be a lovely morning.

Just because he was not an island did not mean he did not know and support individuals that in some cases were themselves a little island.

Mila, a little English troublemaker. From a past full of turmoil but in her adult life, she was making even more turmoil and she was in a place where no one could touch her but she could deal with his kind.