Chapter Eleven

• Dedicated to Bobby Griffis

Traeh and I went to our seats and the whole time I felt like I had a huge target on my back that said, “Glare at her until she bleeds.” I could hear everyone whispering and what they were saying made me feel like crawling up in a hole and dying. “Slut,” one girl whispered. I didn’t even know her name! How could they judge me like this? I never talked about one of them behind their backs or said anything remotely bad about them, so why would they do this to me?

As I was sitting down I heard someone say, “She’s just an ungrateful little skank.” I slipped into my seat, trying my best not to listen to them, but it just wasn’t working. I felt Traeh pat my leg, trying to comfort me. It wasn’t working. I didn’t like feeling like crap and what made it even worse was that they were saying the same things my brother had.

“I hear she used Traeh to get some and he wouldn’t so she’s going after Aiden instead.”

“I heard she just wanted to have someone to call her boyfriend and Traeh dumped her so Aiden was her next choice.”

I got up and ran out of the classroom not being able to take anymore. I could feel the tears running down my face and I couldn’t see anything but I didn’t have to because all I needed was to get away. I didn’t get that far before I ran into what felt like a wall, but when I heard that voice I knew it definitely wasn’t. No wall would sound that concerned.

“Case, are you okay,” Joe asked. I shook my head and buried my face in his chest. “Shh, it’s okay,” he whispered as he rubbed my back. When I had calmed down he wiped away my tears and asked, “What’s wrong Case?”

“Am I a slut,” I asked him pathetically.

“No, of course you aren’t,” he laughed. “Why would you think that?”

“Because that’s what everyone’s saying.”

“Because you’re dating Traeh,” he asked confused.

“No, because I’m dating Aiden,” I whispered.

He shook his head slowly. “You can’t be.  He said… You said… You both lied to me,” he asked sounding extremely hurt.

“I didn’t lie to you. When I told you nothing was going on I was being honest. Nothing was going on. It just happened yesterday. I promise Joe, I didn’t lie to you.”

He looked up at me and I could see the tears in his eyes. “Maybe my cousin was right about you.” He pushed past me and walked away, never looking back. I watched him until he was out of sight and then fell to the ground crying. I don’t know how long I sat there crying before getting up and walking straight to the door of the school. I flung the door open not caring if I was caught skipping class or leaving the school. I walked out before realizing I didn’t have a car or ride anywhere, so I decided it would be best to go to the football field and that’s where I went. I climbed up to the top of the bleachers and sat down. I could hear the school bell ringing behind me but I paid that no attention. I wasn’t going back any time soon if I could help it. I could feel my phone vibrating in my pocket and I knew I should answer it but I couldn’t. I couldn’t bring myself to tell whoever was calling that I was having a mental break down on the football field.