Something in the Air

Kong was sitting on his so called throne; made of specially carved sandalwood that still retain it's earthy smell, behind the one-way glass, looking at the activities in his nightclub, The Red Room and drinking his wine. The bouquet was quite robust and he definitely loved the oaky finish of the wine with his favorite type of blood. On a night like this, it definitely lifted his spirits.

Thanks to modern technology that provided the sound proof walls, he can enjoy the atmosphere and keep a look out on his people without hearing the earsplitting music that he can feel thumping through the walls.

He likes his room, decorated tastefully in dark red and black wallpaper with sturdy furnitures and the black chandelier reminded him of a time long past when he visited Europe and the wild nights about town in London and Venice during the Carnival. There was lots of fun to be had when everyone around you is wearing masks and food was plentiful. No one cared when you're biting someone neck in a dark alley, everyone's drunk with the alcohol and the ambiance of the festival and the noise and crushes of human bodies pushing one another to go from one party to another.

He'd like to think of that time as his Golden Era. He's got no worries, he was young and beautiful, a newly made vampire, following his Sire and learning the ropes on how to be a vampire. All he needed was to learn control and eat on time and sleep during the day.

He doesn't have to worry about his coven, how to sustain them in this ever-changing new world order, about the politics involved, or how to protect them from all the other Creatures of the Night. He wished he could be that young and naïve again.

There was a knock on his door and after getting permission, one of his closest coven members, M entered with a new flesh. His second in command, Tiw, was nowhere in sight, he was probably walking around and doing the perimeter checks.

"This is the Vampire Elder Kong. Greet him properly." M told the newcomer and donor to their coven.

Oak put his hands together and formed the Wai and smiled at the Elder "Errr, hi, I mean, Sawaddee Khrab, Highness? Sir? My friends called me Oak." He smiled again, felt proud of his accomplishment in getting into the coven and be lucky enough to meet the Elder.

M bowed his head in shame at Oak's blunder after he'd coached him several times beforehand how to greet the Vampire Elder properly. The only reason M is friends with Oak is because M owed Oak's grandfather for saving him decades ago and he'd promised to look after his descendants. A promise he regretted as soon as he got to know Oak. He's a disaster waiting to happen.

Kong pinched the bridge of his nose and breathes slowly; he can feel a phantom headache coming on. He has chosen Oak especially after smelling him in the nightclub on several occasions. Now he's regretted his impulse.

"Can I just ask you one question? How come you're not sparkling? Like Edward in Twilight?" Oak asked the Elder.

"What is he? The comic relief? " Kong asked M in a silky tone. M can feel the temperature in the room go down strait to Hell, and if he didn't do something very soon to save Oak, he'll be in missing person's database.

* Donor: A person, usually a non-vampire - who freely volunteers their blood or life energy to be consumed by one or more vampires* (Cr: Religious Tolerance.org)

Thank you for reading, voting and commenting on my story, you guys are Awesome! I really appreciate and enjoy reading your feedback and comments. They totally made my day. 💟

                                                                 Elder Kong and Bodyguard M