s i x

THAT ONE WORD CHANGED EVERYTHING. Jack never knew it was possible for one word to hold so much power, until his Vampire uttered the single word.
Remember.

Almost at once, his life came crashing back down on him, shattering the equilibrium he had spent so long in.

It was like flashes of different colours; different memories in his mind.

He had another world; another life, in a land below the Vampire's castle. He had a mother... Someone that loved him more than anything. And a father, who had died.

A father, who had died when searching for the Vampire.

"My..."

"Jackson, I killed him," the Vampire whispered. "I killed your father."

Jack braced himself. He waited for an emotion to seep into him. Anger, pain, grief - anything... But nothing came.

It didn't change anything.

The Vampire's confession changed nothing. Jack still felt the same way about him. He still...

He loved him.

Tears coursed down his cheeks, as he gazed up at the Vampire. Never in his life, had Jack believed that he would fall in love.

"I killed him, Jackson..." he repeated. "Now, tell me... I'm a Beast, aren't I?"

Jack didn't answer. He didn't want to. If he did, he could have easily revealed how he felt.

And that was wrong.

"How long has it been?" He asked. "How long have I been in your castle?" The Vampire avoided his gaze.

"Three months."

"I have to go..." His mother. His mother was all alone and most likely suffering. "I ought to return."

"I know, Jackson," the Vampire murmured. "But I don't believe that I can live without you, anymore." He was silent for a minute.

"You will be killed without mercy."

"Then let it be, for that is what I deserve... I am a Beast, after all."

"You are not a-" Jack began.

"Besides, I would rather decease by your side, than spend an isolated eternity in this castle."

He placed the wooden stake in Jack's hand and fought a smile onto his face. But the Vampire didn't decieve Jack. He could see the grimace that he so obviously tried to hide.

So, his father had been right. The wooden stake was a weapon... It was something to be used against the Vampire.

And the holy water... Jack quickly glanced at the scorch marks on the Vampire's palm.

The holy water was like acid.

The stake - the wood and holy water - was definitely a weapon that could kill his Vampire.

"When I die, this castle and estate is yours. I know your life was not easy before. You were tortured with poverty and loss..."

When... Not if.

How did he do it? How did the Vampire had readily accepted his dark and undoubtedly painful fate without any hesitance?

"I cannot possibly accept that."

"It's the least I could do," the Vampire said. "For, I love you."

I love you...

Jack tightened his grip around the wooden stake and gazed up at his lover, tears streaming down his face.

"I know you do," he whispered. "And although you wish to follow me to your death, I cannot accept it. I don't believe that I would be able to watch the town people torture you to death."

"I..." he trailed off to silence.

"I ought to do what must be done... You understand that, don't you?"

"I shall gladly oblige to whatever you wish for, Jackson."

Jack leant forward, letting their breath mingle together. For almost an entire minute, he and the Vampire were both still, staring at one another in complete silence. The blonde-haired boy closed his eyes gently and felt the tears trickle down his cheek.

Just when it seemed that the stillness would be broken, he tenderly pressed his lips against the his.

"Jackson..."

Jack pulled away from him and softly brushed away the loose strand of bronze hair from the Vampire's forehead.

"I'm sorry but I can't watch you suffer."

And without any further warning, the boy lifted the wooden stake and plunged it into his lover's chest.

"For... I, too, love you."