Chapter 1

If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when
Christopher Columbus first landed in America,
didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans.

Darkness. It was everywhere. However, the presence of hundreds, probably thousands of twinkling white dots made it feel much less intimidating, possibly even welcoming. It was almost like the stars were signaling us to come over. A discrete message from another life form that we could never fathom. If we travelled far enough, what would we find? An end? Or maybe, possibly, a beginning?

I stared out of the pinhole in my bedroom. It was the year 0005. We had been living on this spacecraft for five years and yet the view still amazed me every time I look out the window. Sometimes, I could see asteroids hurdling past us; huge planets revolving around their Sun. But most of the time it was pitch black, with just the stars reminding us that we were not alone.

My train of thought halted when my wristband started to beep, signaling that it was almost time for breakfast. Everyone wears a wristband. They made us wear them when we first boarded, saying that it would be used an identification tool, a way for the leaders to convey messages and act as a location device. There were times when I felt every urge to dispose of it but, I soon realized that no matter how much it annoyed me, it helped me keep track of myself.

I get distracted easily and in some ways this device has its benefits. I got up from my desk and looked at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a gray jumpsuit that was made out of a synthetic material. The jumpsuit is capable of absorbing sweat much more efficiently than any other kind of material, thus making it possible to be worn for several days without giving off any odor. Everyone wears it, it reduces the need for us to clean it frequently.

I was busy tying my hair into a ponytail when I was suddenly startled by something brushing against my feet. It was just Milo. I picked him up and put him on a pillow by my nightstand.

"Are you hungry? Don't worry I'll sneak in some food for you later," I said while grabbing my backpack.

I searched inside it for some leftover food and found a packet of crackers. This would have to do for now. I squatted down in front of him and put the crackers on the soft, carpeted floor. Almost immediately, Milo started eating them up. I stroked his fur while watching him eat, then went over to my desk to put my books into my bag. My bedroom was small. It had a bed in one corner and my study desk right beside it facing my window. A bookcase and a closet were situated right across the room. I gave a small wave to Milo before I headed outside. I had school after breakfast and I couldn't risk missing my train.

I made sure to close my bedroom door to avoid the undesirable incident of anyone finding out to there's a cat in our cubicle. The only ones who knew were my family and my close friend, Clover. It was specifically stated in the manual they gave us that domestic animals are prohibited onboard, but I wouldn't want Milo to be left alone on a planet! Sure there would be other stranded cats with him, and they might have a fabulous time without humans forcing them to wear pink tutu dresses, but I'm sure Milo is much happier being here than back in Earth. I mean, he's the first cat in space. Quite an honorary title if I do say so myself!

I walked towards the living room. Dad was sitting on the couch watching the television intently. He was always fond of the news. My sister, Jessica , was busy doing her homework, as usual. It was typical for her to put off her homework till the eleventh hour. I did not see Mum anywhere so I guessed she was still getting ready for work.

Both Mum and Dad are researchers. They help find better ways to produce food and water; maintain the oxygen level in the spacecraft, and they are also part of the team who are diligently looking for a new planet civilization could thrive on.

"I'm going to the get breakfast now," I said while opening the front door.

"Okay, we will be there soon,"my father replied, continuing to watch the news.

You might be wondering what could happen if we live in one small confined space? Well, the spacecraft is actually much bigger. You don't think that the spacecraft would only occupy part of the world's population, right? Obviously it would have to cater towards the whole population. Everyone is actually living on this spacecraft but divided by hallways. There are seven main divisions of the spacecraft, each one representing one of the continents. Therefore, there's always a lot going on. New discoveries are continually being made, and new challenges being faced by people in different countries. It can be said my parents have a very important role in the society along with the other researchers.They are the ones the people to look to for solutions.

I stepped out of my 'home'-also known as a cubicle- closing the metal door behind me and started walking down the hallway. There were about 200 families on my floor. At the end of the hallway was a Transportator. It was basically similar to an elevator, but the only difference is that it's not only confined to vertical motions; it can travel horizontally and diagonally. I got in it and hovered my finger over the T button for Transport floor. The Transportator had around 20 buttons, each designating a particular field but I never tried exploring any of the other floors.

The only other floor I had been to is the R floor which meant Research. A few other people got in and hovered their finger over a few other buttons. The Transportator is made out of glass and you can see everything through it. I'm always mesmerized by the view. You can see where they cultivate basic food crops, stilt like buildings, industrial sites, observation platforms and so much more. "For your safety please hold onto the railings," a voice said through the speakers and almost immediately the Transportator swerved left and went diagonally to the right. Once I reached the Transport floor, I would have to get on a train to get to the Hub,where they sell food and daily supplies. It's like a marketplace and is the busiest space in this part of the spacecraft.

The Transportator was moving straight ahead through a tunnel. The tunnel was illuminated by sconces every few meters. Even with only a little light available, I noticed a door. It was left slightly ajar producing a streak of light. I'd never seen that door before. It blended in perfectly with the mud colored walls. It was probably a door that led to one of the maintenance rooms for the train system. Someone from the inside came to close the door. Initially, I couldn't make out the face, but right before the Transportator swerved left I was certain who I saw. My stomach twisted. I gripped the railing tighter until my knuckles turned white. That jet black hair, that scar on his right cheek. It was Chad. Chad.

Wasn't he supposed to be dead?

Till next week :)