Chapter One

This was it! 

Probably the last time Gabby would be returning here and calling the place home. All she had to do was wait until tomorrow when her divorce papers would be ready and she would finally be free. 

Unfortunately that meant spending one more night under her husband's roof so he didn't realise what she was planning. Nikolai Kostos was a powerful man and she had no doubt that he wouldn't hesitate to use that power against her if he found out her intentions. 

Which was why Gabby found herself staring up at the mansion in dismay at the realisation she had completely forgotten all about their damn anniversary party that they had been planning for weeks. She couldn't believe that it had slipped her mind although admittedly she'd been a bit preoccupied of late. 

With a muttered curse she dug through her bag until she found a clip half buried at the bottom. Holding her bag awkwardly between her knees Gabby swept her long dark hair up in to a bun and secured it firmly before searching through her bag again and giving a triumphant smile as she found her lip gloss. Quickly swiping a little over her soft lips Gabby spared a moment to be grateful that she'd dressed up for the meeting with her divorce lawyer. At least the pale blue gown she wore wouldn't look out of place at a party. 

"Just get it over with," Gabby muttered as she straightened her shoulders and pinned a smile to her face before forcing herself to enter the house that was heaving with guests. Most of them were strangers to Gabby. 

"Gabby, there you are. We thought you'd forgotten us," said a tall blonde with a model like figure who looked like she'd just stepped off the pages of a fashion magazine. Gabby wracked her brain furiously as she tried to remember the girl's name. 

"You know me, I just lost track of time. But thanks for coming, Emily," Gabby replied in what she hoped was a regretful tone and when the girl smiled Gabby breathed a sigh of relief that she'd gotten the name right. 

"Gabby, it's such a shame that your parents never got to see you get married. They'd be so pleased if they could see you today. You and Nik are still the perfect couple even after a year of marriage. I bet your parents were thrilled about the wedding though. They did know before their accident, right?" asked a second skinny blonde as she joined them and Gabby offered a sad smile as she thought back to her parents who had been taken so tragically in a car accident just over a year ago. 

"Yeah, they knew. In fact you could say it's all down to my parents that Nik and I decided to marry," Gabby replied.  

How these society women would laugh if they discovered the only reason they'd married was because of a stipulation in her father's will. And wouldn't they be shocked to know that she had never even shared a room with Nik, much less a bed. 

"Aww, isn't that just so sweet? Your parents bought you together and here you are a year later, still together and happier than ever and still so much in love," a third blonde woman said and Gabby gave them all a forced smile but before she could offer a response she felt a familiar tingle wind it's way through her body an instant before before an arm wound itself around her waist and pulled her back against a hard male body. 

"More in love than ever," Nik confirmed tightening his grip warningly around her waist. Like she actually wanted these airhead socialites to know what a sham their marriage really was. 

"Absolutely. I mean who wouldn't fall in love with Nik? He's just such a sensitive guy," Gabby said as she leaned her head back to give her husband a mocking glance. 

"Would you excuse us a moment, ladies? I have a special present for my wife that I just can't wait to give her," Nik said silkily and the women practically swooned under his charm while Gabby fought the urge to scowl. Instead she pinned a smile on her face and allowed herself to be led away from the party and in to his private office where he finally released her as he locked the door.