1

16 YEARS LATER

Gabe yawned as he sat down at the kitchen table. Light streamed through the windows, falling on a man at the stove.

"Morning, Gabe." Mark Sorens greeted, turning his head. Gabe hummed back, eyes closed. "That's all the greeting you're gonna give me?"

"Mornin', Dad." Gabe muttered. "Happy now?" 

"Moderately." Mark chuckled, reaching over to turn of the stove. After a minute or two, he approached the table and set a plate in front of Gabe. The brunette opened his green eyes. "Here's breakfast, sleepyhead."

"Thanks." Gabe said, picking up a fork and starting on the plate of scrambled eggs. 

Mark nodded, smiling, and went back to the stove area to finish cleaning up. A few minutes of silence passed.

"So." Mark finally spoke up, wiping down a plate. He was staring out the window. Gabe looked up. "Your birthday's tomorrow. I'm sure you've already decided on your present."

"Yup." Gabe muttered. Mark sighed. He knew what Gabe had chosen. To leave. Go through the forest and see the city, meet other people. He knew the time had come, though he didn't want it to have arrived. Once Gabe left the fence surrounding their property, Mark wouldn't be able to protect him anymore... "I need a new laptop."

Mark blinked and turned to face his son. Gabe was casually spreading jam on a piece of toast.

"Wha--really?" He asked. Gabe looked up at him again, frowning slightly.

"Yeah really." He said. "What did you expect me to ask for?"

"I, well, I uhm..." Mark blustered. "Er... Nothing. New laptop it is, Fae."

Gabe shook his head slightly at the old nickname and went back to his toast.

"Better get goin' if you're gonna get back before sundown tomorrow." He said through a mouthful of bread. Mark bit his lip but nodded.

"You're right. You'll be fine here on your own, right?"

"Yup."