New Moons

No light shone from the new moon.

Only darkness engulfed the spaces around me. I felt invisible, invincible, I simple shadow in the midst of darkness. 

Perfect. No one would be able to see me.

My black dress and cloak hung around me like the cold night air. I surveyed my surroundings, making sure Maris wasn't peeking through the curtain, or that dad wasn't drunkenly stumbling through the backyard.

Only overgrown rose bushes and weeds peeked out of my brick pathway to freedom. Treading lightly, my boots hardly hit the ground as I sprinted to the horse stables. Black fur moved inside the stable. I could tell Kylie was agitated, seeing her shift and rumble in her stall. 

"Shh," I soothed, reaching my hand out for her to feel, "it's just me."

I hadn't had much practice horseback riding but I didn't have any other ways of transportation. The nearest  town was 12 miles away, far too long to run. I was just thankful that one of my father's gambles had ended up with him getting a horse and enough slaves to take care of it. 

Gently, I patted Kylie's head. She riled again, but stopped at my harsh "Sh!" Carefully, I went into the stable, adjusting her reins. A sturdy roped tied her to the stable's wall. I flipped out my pocket knife, not bothering to waste time on untying the knot. Fortunately, she didn't start having a fit, or else my plan would have been a complete waste. Brown rope strings sprung out. Kylie moved her neck around. I could tell she was reveling in her freedom, but I had yet to reach mine.

Slowly, I opened the stable doors, making sure they didn't creak. Kylie backed up, her hooves splashing up a puddle. I made sure she was fully out before cautiously closing the doors again. The only sound in the air was my shaky breathing, quivering out of both fear and complete and utter longing, longing to be out of my father's clutches. 

My body craving the taste, that feeling of freedom, I swung myself onto Kylie's back and whipped her into action.

----------------

Wind sung in my ears, a high pitched tune that sounded fast and eerie. My hands were numb from clutching Kylie's reins, coldness picking at them. My cloak did nothing against the wind. The moon peaked in my vision, almost too dark to see. I could hardly see the vague outline of trees in front of me. Hopefully, Kylie's got better senses that I do. 

Branches randomly slapped my face, leaving me with random scratches. I wiped off the dirt and leaves with my sleeve, continuing at full speed. I couldn't afford anyone catching up to me and taking me back. Who could hear my pleas out here?

Something in the distance caught my attention. It looks shiny and bright. A lamplight! I thought, heart racing. Someone's near. 

As I got closer, its brightness steadily increase. A single oak pole shone in the distance with shining atop it. The town, I thought giddily. Despite all my years of training myself never to have too much hope, I let myself feel more optimistic than I had in years. I've reached the town! 

Yanking Kylie's reins, we skidded to a stop. She whinnied, rearing up, as I clutched onto the leather straps for dear life. Her hooves pounded on the pavement as she protested. I waited a few seconds after her episode, before hesitantly fumbling to get down from her back. 

A small, wooden house stood near the lamppost, solely illuminated by its light. The black fabric of my clothes rubbed against my freezing skin. White puffs of breath came out in front of me as I hurried to the front door. The sharp knocks rang out in the forest, some stray birds flying out in the distance. I glanced around, paranoid that the noise would somehow attract the attention of my family.