Chapter Fifteen | Training

Chapter 15 - Training

Camila’s POV

I walk around the training centre. Mom or dad never really taught me how to handle a specific weapon. Hyacinth was taught how to throw knives. With dad being such a good cook and it being the only weapon he had left in the 74th games, Hyacinth learned from him. Mom was very overprotective of me, and didn’t want to get hurt by these weapons. She figured I’d never be pulled into the games. “Camila,” I heard mom spoke “come here honey.”

I continued to my mom, who was a few stations down. She held a bow in her left hand and a pouch of arrows on her back. “Want me to teach you a few things?” she asks. Even though I had quite a bit of allies, I wanted to impress them. Show them I was worthy to be an ally. I nod in response to my mom’s question. I picked up a bow and arrows from the side table adjacent to the targets. “Since you’re right handed, you hold the bow up with your left hand.” she says, demonstrating.

I follow her procedures, lifting my the bow in my left hand. “Attach the arrow, and grab right below the cock feather.” I’m assuming that means the feather on the bottom. I grab hold of the region. “Aim precisely. The head or upper chest are good places to aim,” mom murmurs, “and let go.” As soon as she finishes the sentence, the arrow dashed rapidly into the bullseye region. I stare, astonishly lower my bow. “How….”

Mom smiles at me. “Your turn.” I raise the bow back up, aiming for the bullseye. I eye out the center of the target. I, then, release the arrow. Dropping the bow, I run up to the target. The arrow hit right outside the bullseye. “Cammy! You hit a 9!” mom cheers while running up for a hug. I return the hug, looking around the room. People are staring mom. I repeat, PEOPLE ARE STARING. I release the hug. Everyone returns back to their training. “Not bad for your first shot!” Johanna exclaims from across the centre. I return a smile.

This process of me trying to get a bullseye continues for about 26 minutes or so. I just couldn’t get one. “Cam, that’s enough with the bow.” I’m told. I sigh. I was always on the brim of getting a bullseye, yet could never get it. “If you were in the games, you would’ve killed them anyways. You don’t need perfect shots.” mom tells me. This is one of the first times I’ve felt like some actually had faith in me. It must be so hard for her. I mean, all or one of her kids will die. The Captiol doesn’t let multiple victors anymore, like how they did with my parents. They will make sure all but one will die.

I seem to be a natural with the bow, but I scope the training centre for any more skills. As I’m walking across the room, I see the knot tying section. I immediately think of ‘The Hanging Tree’ song. Apparently my late grandfather would sing it with my mom all the time. After he died, she never sang it again. The only reason I remember the song is because on the last Sunday of each month, we’d visit the grave site. We’d see Haymitch, Prim and at least once a year we’d travel to District 4 and see Finnick. Mom would always kneel down on my aunt’s grave and sing the song.

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where they strung up a man

They say murdered three.

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight

In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where the dead man called out

For his love to flee.

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight

In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where I told you to run,

So we'd both be free.

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight

In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Wear a necklace of rope,

Side by side with me.

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight

In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you

coming the tree

wear a necklace of rope

As you stand by me

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight

In the hanging tree

I don’t know why mom would sing this song at the grave. It never crossed my mind, why. Out of all the songs, why this one? I shrug off the thought. I shouldn’t be thinking of this now. I scan the room for any other weapons that might be any help to me. There nothing else that I see. More importantly, there’s nothing else I see that my mom would be able to train me in. She’s all for the bow.

So I pretty much wrote this all. I really like this chapter. It's some daughter/mother bonding! ^-^