Chapter 1

"Harry, you're going to wake them up", I said. He was making a crinkly scratching sound on his parchment paper, struggling to write his essay for Professor Binns. I was flipping through the pages of my Potions textbook, searching for information about shrinking potions.

Unfortunately, we had to do this in the night. Our magic-hating relatives hated us and anything to do with our school. I couldn't wait to go back to Hogwarts. The feeling of my wand in my hand, about to perform magic, was thrilling. 

Folding the page in the corner to keep my place in the book, I got up and gently kept it under the loose floorboard. I went back to my bed, leaning my head against the pillow, staring at the ceiling above. Harry's writing was too irritating to sleep and I turned my head towards him.

"Just sleep. Finish the essay tomorrow", I whispered.

Harry looked at me, rubbing his worn-out eyes. He nodded and took all of his supplies, put them in an old pillowcase, and placed it under the same floorboard. I turned my body to the other side so that I was facing the wall and closed my eyes. 

Just as I was dozing off, I felt the sharp force of a pillow being thrown at my back. I rose up quietly and narrowed my eyes at Harry.

"What do you want?", I hissed.

He grinned. "Happy Birthday", he whispered, gesturing to the alarm clock. 

I smiled. We were 13 years old and had actually lived for another year. I took a look in the mirror opposite the bed. I felt but didn't look older. My dark brown, slightly wavy hair, came to my shoulders. My green eyes stood out on my light face. I looked small in an overlarge, ratty t-shirt that Aunt Petunia gave me a couple of years ago. My scar, shaped like a lightening bolt, was on the right side of my forehead. I stared at the scar, remembering the young Voldemort that I saw only a few months ago. Suddenly, I was distracted by my thoughts as Harry leapt sideways.

He was looking through the window; I stood up and looked through it too. It appeared to be Hedwig and two other owls. As they came through the window, I realized that there were three owls: Hedwig and one were helping to carry an unconscious owl, which I immediately recognized as Errol. The other owl, a dark grey handsome one, slowly fluttered into the room. 

Harry helped Errol by untying the rope around his legs and shoving him into Hedwig's cage to drink water. I looked at the other owls, determining who they were.

I took the letter tied to the grey owl. It was addressed to me.

Dear Violet,

Happy Birthday!

I hope you are doing well and managing those horrible Muggles. My summer has been nice, for the most part. Unfortunately, I had to meet with the Malfoys. My sister, Astoria, who will be a first year this year, was practically pining over Draco. He looks different- he became taller and his hair is no longer combed back- but acts like a git still. I saw Theo, who sends his wishes, as well.

I enclosed a hair pin for your gift. Tap it with your wand, put it in your hair, and it will style it. I found it in Witch's Weekly- they did an entire feature on the pin with Celestina Warbeck!

I cannot wait for 3rd year to start! I miss you and will hopefully see you in Diagon Alley soon.

Love,

Daphne

I took the pin that was attached to the letter. It was shining and had a shimmery rhinestone on the end. I smiled in remembrance at meeting Daphne for the first time in Diagon Alley.

I sat on the chair waiting for the lady I just met to bring me the cloak I wanted. I sat across a girl who had dirty blonde hair and golden skin.