Caught in Thorns: Chapter 1

Hey guys. This is a fan fiction for the Hobbit. If you guys do not like the Hobbit or haven't seen the movie, do not read. Um, the only read I posted this was because a good friend of mine requested it. I hope you guys like it :)
---------------------------------------------
Chapter 1

Voices. Were those voices? Yes they are, but who's? Slowly I crept forward and peered through the leaves of the undergrowth. Dwarves. I am not a huge fan of Dwarves and Dwarves seemed to hate me, or my kin. It's not as if its an unreasonable hatred between Dwarves and Elves, the reason has just been long forgotten-by me at least. I know for a fact that the Dwarves of Erebor hate the woodland Elves of Mirkwood because King Thranduil refused to help them when the dragon came and took their home. However, that is no reason for the Dwarves to hate all Elves. Lord Elrond of Rivendell has done nothing to them.

"I'd say we go to the Hidden Valley." A large wizard, I recognise him as Gandalf the Grey, says.

The Hidden Valley, which is Rivendell, is my home. I've been away from it for some time now, visiting Bree in the west. I haven't been gone long, but I'm sure it's been long enough for my father-who happens to be Lord Elrond-to miss me. A throaty growl interrupts my thoughts and I see a wolf-like creature spring at the Dwarves. Before any of them have time to react I launch an arrow into the creature's head.

"Who goes there?" One with a dirty blonde beard snaps.

"Show yourself!" Another says; he stands with authority so I assume he is the leader of the group. I can't see his face clearly through the branches of the bushes I am hiding in.

I load my bow with another arrow and rise slowly. The looks on the Dwarves faces tell me that they weren't expecting an Elf.

"Who are you?" A small person asks. He can't be a Dwarf, he doesn't have a beard, and he's not stocky enough.

"My name is Celaireth," I say carefully.

"Your an Elf," the lead Dwarf growls in disgust. Now that I can see him clearly, I am astonished to find that I am in the presence of Thorin Oakenshield.

"What gave that away?" I retort, rolling my eyes.

"You should want to be nicer to the Dwarf king." An old white haired dwarf says.

"Dwarf king?" I let out a cruel laugh. "The Dwarf king lives in the Lonely Mountain and, last I checked, that was occupied by a fire Drake."

Thorin glares at me. His eyes growing angrier with every second. I can see his muscles tensing, readying themselves for an attack, but he snort and turns away from me.

"Get out of here. Before the Orcs come. I'm sure your Elven king Thranduil wouldn't want the blood of his kin spilt today." Thorin says, his voice thick with sarcasm and anger. A few Dwarves chuckle in response.

"Like you could spill my blood," I roll my eyes again.

"He could lassie, Thorin is a very skilled fighter." The white bearded Dwarf tells me.

"As am I," I reply. "Hence why I am captain of the guard at Rivendell."

"Rivendell? You look to me more like a woodland Elf," one of the taller, dark haired Dwarvees says. Several of the company murmur in agreement.

"We'll get to that later, we must leave before the Orc pack is upon us!" Gandalf snaps.

The Dwarves gather their weapons and prepare to leave, when the bushes to one side of the small clearing start to rustle. I point my bow in the direction, ready to fire on the possible Warg. Out of my peripheral vision, I notice the Dwarves preparing their weapons. Out of the bushes rushes a group of several rabbits, pulling a sled with a short man on it.

"Radagast the Brown," Gandalf says in relief.

I let out the breath I had been holding and lower my bow, putting the arrow back in my quiver. I take a moment to look at my surroundings as Gandalf speaks to this fellow wizard. We are in a small clearing near a cave-which smells retched. I know this area by heart, we should be very close to Rivendell, just a bit farther into the moorland to the east and we will be there.

The howling of a Warg catches my attention, causing my to immediately load an arrow to my bow.

"Gandalf, we need to go!" Thorin insists, waving for the Dwarves to follow him.

"Wait, they'll catch you! You need a distraction." Radagast states.

"Radagast, these are wargs, they'll catch you." Gandalf says.

"These are Rustabell Rabbits, I'd like to see them try." Radagast responds with a sly grin. Then he jumps on his sled and takes off out of the small forest.

"Quickly!" Gandalf says, waving for the Dwarves to follow him.

The Dwarves follow Gandalf and I fall in behind them.

"Not you!" Thorin snarls, stopping briefly to point his sword at my chest. "Go home to Rivendell."

"To get to Rivendell, I have to go this way." I point out with a smug smirk.

Thorin grumbles and pulls his sword away from my chest, running after Gandalf again.

I bound ahead of the Dwarves on light feet and fall in step with Gandalf at the front.

"Don't mind the Dwarves, they don't have a mind in manners and Thorin doesn't like elves very much." Gandalf huffs.

"I don't pay any mind to them," I chuckle and swerve around a boulder. "You should stop in Rivendell, rest for a bit. Looks like you've been on the road for a long time."

"That's the plan." Gandalf tells me through pants. "Only, they don't know that."

I smile and nod, jumping over a hole in the ground. I hear a grunt behind me and look back to see that the fattest dwarf tripped on it.

Gandalf tries to lead us away from the Orc pack, but Radagast always manages to ride by us in his attempt to distract the Orcs. We end up pressed against a rock to try to stay out of view of the Orc pack. There is a thump followed by the growling of a Warg above us. Thorin glances up and his nose wrinkles slightly.

He looks at the taller of the Dwarves and whispers, "shoot it." His whisper is just loud enough for me to hear it on the other side of the tall Dwarf.

The Dwarf quickly loads his bow, steps out from the cover of the rock, aims, and shoots the Warg. The only problem is that he doesn't kill it nor the Orc that was riding it. The Warg falls off the rock and the Orc goes in for an attack on the Dwarves.

The dwarves start fighting the Warg and Orc, trying to kill both foul creatures. They aren't very quiet about the situation. When the foul creatures die, I listen for the sound of the Wargs' paws hitting the ground as they run. There is no trace of the thumping sound.