Chapter 23

A/N: Not to brag or anything, but this chapter is a masterpiece. Prepare to laugh your ass off.

Melanie walks into Sadie's room one morning, "Saaaaaddiiiieeee..." She sings, "Wake up, sweetie pie, it's time for school. And when you get done with school, Chris will be here!"

Sadie sits up and smiles, "Yay - " She starts before she starts coughing.

Melanie grows concerned, "You okay, sweetie?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, I just - " Sadie cuts herself off by coughing again.

"You don't sound very good." Melanie says. She feels Sadie's forehead and it feels warm.

"Do you feel okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Are you sure? Do you feel okay enough to go to school?" 

Sadie nods, "Yeah, I'll be okay."

"Okay, well if you start to feel any worse, let me know, okay?"

"I will."

"Okay, well let's get you dressed and get some food in your tummy, maybe that'll make you feel better."

x

Sadie didn't eat that much for breakfast and didn't look so good once Melanie took her to school. Melanie asked Sadie if she wanted to stay home, but Sadie insisted that she was okay. Sadie had always hated being sick and didn't always tell Melanie when she wasn't feeling good. Melanie decided to let her go to school, but Melanie kept her phone on her just in case and told Sadie to go to the nurse if she felt any worse.     

While Melanie was at work, she did get a text from Chris that he had returned from home and that he could pick Sadie up from school that day if needed, not knowing that Sadie wasn't feeling well. About an hour later, the school called Melanie and told her that Sadie didn't look well and that she should go home. Melanie couldn't get out of work, but promised that she'd have someone pick Sadie up shortly. This was right on the end of Melanie's lunch break, so she decided to make a quick phone call.   

"Hey, Mel. Everything okay?" Chris asks.

"Well, I know you're only just getting home, but Sadie wasn't feeling too good this morning and I just got a call from her school saying that she didn't look good and wasn't able to focus and that she should go home, but I can't get out of work and - "

"Hey, hey, hey, say no more, I'll go get her." 

"Are you sure? Because I can call Jason and see if he - "

"No, no, I'll get her, it's fine. I'll take her home so she can be with Fred and all her stuffed animals and you can just go home after work."

Melanie sighs, "Thank you so much."

"Don't worry about it. Get back to work and take your time, okay?"

"Okay. Thank you again. Bye."

"Bye."

x

Chris pulls up to the school and walks inside. Goes to the office and sees Sadie sitting in one of the chairs, not looking good.     

"Hey, kiddo. You doing okay?"

Sadie looks up at him and manages a smile, "Chris! You're home!"

The school nurse walks out and raises an eyebrow at Chris, "And you are?"

"That's Chris, my mom probably sent him to pick me up."

"Is she okay?" Chris asks.

"Well, she does have a bit of a fever and she doesn't look good, as I'm sure you can tell."