Chapter Seven

The dormitories were even better than I remembered them to be. I wished I could've seen the look on Lucifer's face when I never returned to my cell. The bed next to me was empty for now but I could already tell someone else was using it. Hopefully my new roommate wouldn't be like the last one.

It turned out he was the complete opposite. Lucifer was violent, harsh and antagonising. My new roommate, on the other hand, was harmless, cheerful and friendly. He came bouncing into sight, sitting down on his bed and giving me a bright smile.

"Hey! They finally put someone else in here!" he expressed his delight dramatically, "I've been in this place for only three days but I would've thought the dorms were always full. What's your name?"

I was overwhelmed by how excitable and happy he was, especially after he had just been thrown in prison. He seemed to be getting on fine.

"Novak", I replied, returning the smile.

"I'm Garth Fitzgerald", he told me, "Or just Fitzgerald. Everybody refuses to call me Garth in here which is okay, I guess".

"You've only been in here for three days?" I asked, relieved that someone else was new besides me.

"Uh-huh", Fitzgerald confirmed, "I've only got six months in here left. My aunt gave me a plant for my birthday and, for months, I was growing it in my back garden. Little did I know, it was actually cannabis. The police assumed that was a hobby of mine and, well, here I am. Come to think of it, my aunt never actually liked me..."

"Oh...wow, that's..." I paused, not sure whether to laugh or sympathise, "I wish I had six months. I'm stuck in here for fifteen years".

"Woah", Fitzgerald raised his eyebrows, "That sucks".

"Lights out, inmates!"

Roughly three seconds after the officer yelled, it was suddenly dark. Not exactly pitch black, but just the right amount of darkness so that you could vaguely make out the silhouettes of objects and people.

"Night, Novak", Fitzgerald spoke quietly and I could make out his comforting smile through the darkness.

"Night", I yawned, falling back onto my comfortable bed and wrapping myself inside the covers.

I fell asleep almost immediately. It was such a relief, sleeping in a place where I didn't fear of the man lying beneath me, listening to my breaths and planning when to make his next move. It was perfect.

* * *

"Cas".

Still half asleep, I felt a hand nudging my shoulder like a child eagerly waking their parents up at Christmas. When I didn't respond, I was nudged again.

"Cas. Wake up, you lazy moron".

I groaned and forced myself to open my eyes. It was still slightly dark yet faintly brightening. Kneeling down beside my bed, the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was Dean who was wide awake and bored or so it seemed.

"Dean?" I asked with confusion, glancing at Fitzgerald who was fast asleep, "What...what time is it?"

"Half five in the morning", Dean whispered, not wanting to wake up or alarm anybody.

"But we're supposed to get up at six", I told him, still confused.

"I know", Dean replied with an amused smile, automatically springing up on his feet and perching himself on my bed.