Chapter 1 "Happy Birthday Mechelle!"

Naalimpungatan ako sa tunog ng maingat na pagtipa ng gitara. Agad na sumilay sa aking mga labi ang maliit na ngiti nang marinig ko ang dalawang boses na nagsimulang umawit ng mahinang pagbati.

"Happy Birthday to you.... Happy Birthday to you....... Happy birthday, happy birthday............ Happy Birthday Mechelle!
Happy happy happy birthday.. .... "

I opened my eyes and shifted on my back while clutching tightly the covers on my body at the same time. I slept on the nude most of the time. And displaying my nudity in front of these two individuals on the duration of their pleasant birthday song greeting could substansiate to impropriety.

I propped myself up and laid my back on the headboard, watched and listened as the song ended with a dramatic strum in courtesy of Poleene, my cousin, who was playing the guitar. Beside her was my younger sister Kriszelle, carrying a box of cake, with which I was sure, had my favorite ube flavor in it.

"Happy 29th Birthday!!!!" malakas na hiyaw ng dalawa.

"Blow your candles ate." Kris started to step forward and sit on my bed. May dalawang lighted candles na may number 2 at 9 sa ibabaw ng cake.

"Wait, wait, waaaaait!" Poleene screeched and stilled the one second away from puffing out the air from my cheeks to blow the waiting candles.
"Make a wish first." she muttered.

Oh. I mindlessly forgot that one important tradition on birthday occassions. Making a wish.

I bit my lower lip as a habit and spaced out for a moment.

Ano nga ba ang wish ko?

Many years ago I had plenty of them. Pero ngayon? Binalingan ko ang kapatid ko, na nakangiting naghihintay. I was really happy to have her there in front of me. I also glanced at Poleene with her goofy grin, patiently waiting. The two most important people of my life. My only family.

Kung hihilingin ko ba na sana kahit isang araw man lang ay makasama kong muli, kami ni Kriszelle, ang aming mga magulang, matutupad ba yun?

I sighed and closed my eyes to hide my melancholy. That would be wishing for the impossible. But I knew, that somewhere out there, nakatanaw sila sa akin, ngumingiti. Ngiti ng buong pagmamalaki. That I survived and lived. I didn't have an easy life. But with the courage, strong willpower, and faith that I inherited from them, I made it this far.

I had my family. I lived in a great house. I had great friends. I had a promising carreer. A boosting business. Ano pa ba ang kulang?

Hhmmmm. And I made a wish silently.

I opened my eyes and blew the candles.
Then, I got hugs and kisses from Kris and Poleene.

"Get dressed and I'm hungry. Naghanda kami ni Kriszelle ng special birthday breakfast para sayo. So hurry hurry!" Poleene bounced in excitement and pulled hard the blanket out of my grasp.

"Poleene!!!" Buong lakas kong hinila pabalik ang kumot. My crazy cousin with mischief shining in her bluish-gray eyes, who knew my habit of sleeping in the nude, pulled back harder. Our little tug of war went on for some crazy minutes.

"Okay. That's enough! Poleene. Lumabas na tayo."

I heard my sister commanded in her tone that brook no argument, matched with that stern look on her face.

Uh-oh. 'The Principal' woman mode was switched on. And I knew Poleene felt it too dahil binitawan na nito ang kumot at mabilis na lumabas ng silid.

Mahina akong tumawa. 'The Principal' title was only one of the many titles na itinutukoy ni Poleene sa iba't ibang mood ni Kris.

"We'll be waiting at the dining table ate."