One: Of Rain and Right

Introduction: 

They are wild. 

The hearts of animals beat in their chests, in sync with one another. 

Lion 

Tiger 

Jaguar 

Panther 

Lynx 

Cougar 

Cheetah 

Leopard  

Brothers to the end, and even from the beginning. 

The kings of the wild, they roam the land together, in search of one goal, one person. 

Their queen. 

(A/N: the dates that appear are merely dividers and not an actual part of the story or setting) 

3/15/2010 

Xander was not your average teen. She knew that, her school knew that, her parents knew that. Everyone knew that. 

They both loved, and hated, her for it. 

She was not calm, or quiet, or gentle. She was not athletic, or intellectual, or stereotypical. She was unique, solely unique. 

One would expect many things from a seventeen-year-old girl attending a well known private, Catholic school. One would expect her to be subdued and thoughtful. One would expect her to be intelligent and kind. One would expect her to be quiet and respectful. 

Those who expect that of the Taurus are expecting wrong. 

Yawning into her hand as she stood on the porch of her school, Xander observed the students around her.  

It was 2:30 in the afternoon, just after the bell rang. Her black backpack with the skull of a vampire painted over the front was already slung over one shoulder as her heeled foot tapped to a rhythm only she could hear. 

"I hate when days are so slow," she thought to herself, wishing for something that would speed up her afternoon, or at least make it semi-entertaining. Around her the buzz of hundreds of students all excitedly cheerful for the up coming weekend reached the peak where one thought to themselves, "Goddamn! I think they just broke the sound barrier!" 

Eyeing the growing crowd wearily, Xander stepped down onto the grass and slid her shoes from her feet. Expecting her friends Kara and Lea to pounce on her at any moment, she tilted her head back and let the crisp, cool drops of rain wash away the stress of her school day.  

Behind her, she could plainly hear Ashley Garner chomping away at her juicy fruit bubble gum like some great, blonde crocodile. The sound of her saliva along with the crunching sound her teeth made almost forced Xander into a harsh shudder.  

"Oh my gawsh!" Ashley was gushing to her friends in a high pitched, deeply aggravating voice that was the obvious marker of one who thought she was queen of the world but in reality was nothing more than a porn-star-in-training. "This rain is going to ruin my hair! Ugh!" 

With an internal scoff, Xander turned subtly around, keeping her head tilted in the same manner as not to alert said porn-star-in-training to her blatant eavesdropping. 

Ashley stood in front of the school, holding her French tipped, manicured hand over her straightened, bleached hair to prevent the rain from falling on her. Her tank top was low cut, allowing her silicon DD breasts to stick over the top, showing off not only the size of her implants but also the spray tan she'd spent the weekend getting done.