Welcome to Manhood, Son

Jake and his father, Reaper, had a complicated relationship. In short, Jake hated his father, and with good reason. You see, some people can ruin your life and change the course of your future in the blink of an eye.

Welcome to Manhood, Son

Fetus Jake: Aged 13

"Jake?" said Baron from the top bunk. "You awake?"

"I am now," I muttered.

I heard him shifting in his bed. "It's one minute past midnight," Baron announced.

"So?"

"Happy birthday."

"Oh. Thanks."

"I got you something."

"You didn't have to, Bar." He was only ten, and his pocket money amounted to a few dollars here and there for doing his chores.

"I wanted to. You always get me something." His bed was rocking above me as he moved around and climbed down the little ladder that brought him down to the ground. "Here, Jake."

I could barely see him in the darkness, but I sat up and blindly accepted what he wanted to give me.

"It's just a sketchbook," Baron explained in a soft voice. "So you don't have to use lined paper anymore."

I held the book in my hands, surprised by its heavy weight. The pages had to be A1 or something. This had to have cost a hell of a lot of cash.

"Thanks, Bar. I love it," I whispered. I cleared the lump in my throat. "Uh, it's late. Ma doesn't like it when you stay up late."

He didn't make any move.

"You had another nightmare, didn't you? That's why you were awake." I put the sketchbook on my nightstand and then scooted over in my bed. "Hop in, kiddo."

"I'm not a kid," Baron grumbled, crawling in beside me.

"You still pee sitting down."

"Because I'm too short to aim right!"

"Ssh, Baron. You'll wake our parents," I scolded him, praying that I didn't end up snorting with laughter.

I really had the best brother.

"Jake?" Baron spoke up after a while, when I was just starting to think he was drifting to sleep.

"Yeah?"

"I heard Dad talking about you joining the Phantoms. Are you gonna?"

I wanna be an artist.

"You can't join until you're eighteen, Bar."

"I know. But Dad wants you to join. So, are you gonna?"

I wanna be an artist.

"Dunno."

"You'd get to ride a motorcycle and wear Dad's jacket."

"That ain't a job, Baron."

"No, but it's cool."

Baron turned on his side, giving me his back, and after a few minutes, I heard his heavy breathing. He was asleep. Lucky him.

I hadn't known that my dad wanted me to join his motorcycle club. I didn't know why I was so surprised. Most of the guys in his club had sons who were going to be future members.