01

- 01

The girl shuffles around in the grocery store, trying to hurry up and get the necessities and run back home to where her little brother and sister are, sleeping alone. She quickly grabs a can of beans and turns around swiftly, heading down the aisle. A million thoughts are racing through her small mind. What if something happens to her siblings? What if a robber breaks in? What if the house catches on fire? What if they wake up before I do? She heads over to the cash register, not even paying attention to who is located behind it.

The boy smiles as he recognizes the girl from a couple weeks ago. How could he forget? She was still wearing the same bright, orange colored Vans and her scars were once again peaking out of her sleeve. He had applied for a position here not to long ago for a chance to see her again, and thank god he did for here she was bestowed upon him. Yet, she seemed upset and worried today. A frown decorated her plump lips and her eyebrows were furrowed, creating lines between her eyebrows that were clearly visible.

"Um, could you check how much this costs?" She asks, handing him a peach colored lip balm. A frown tugs at the ends of his lips at the thought of her changing the color of her soft, red lips. They were so precious and delicate like a rose. He scans the lip balm however, and his eyes widen at the price of such a thing.

"It's about five pounds," he replies as he hands her the item back. Her eyes widen as she finally meets his ocean blue eyes with a gasp escaping her slightly parted lips. It was him. Every single night, clouds of blue eyes swirled around in her dreams while she would toss and turn in the night, thinking about the boy and the kind words he spoke to her that one day. It must've been well over a month, but to her, it felt like yesterday since she last saw him.

However, her thoughts drift back to the overly priced lip balm, "I don't have enough to pay for it," she quietly whispers out, her words dancing in the air and waltzing over into the boy's ears. She only had twenty pounds on her and it is supposed to be for food for the rest of the week, but she couldn't help but hope that she'd have enough money to buy her something that might make her feel prettier. It was all she wanted in life: to be beautiful.

The boy watches as the girl lets out a defeated sigh and hands the lip balm back to him. A lone tear slips down her pale cheek. On instinct, the boy reaches over and wipes it away while continuing to make small circles with the pad of his thumb. Her skin just felt so silky, it was addicting. So addicting. He thinks of what it'll feel like to feel the skin of her hand while having his fingers interlaced with hers.

"You know what? I'll buy it for you, love," he says as he hands the girl ten pounds. Her heart flutters as the word love rolls off of his tongue and sinks it's way into her mind. It was just a silly nickname he must use for everyone, it doesn't mean anything. It shouldn't mean anything. Right? She smiles politely at him but grabs the lip balm and throws it lightly over her shoulder, letting the object roll on until it comes in contact with a wall.

"Thanks, now I have to end up picking it back up," he teases but quickly tries to reassure her as another frown stretches across her face, "No it's fine, angel."

She smiles at him politely and gives him the exact change, an unknown spark coursing throughout their veins at the contact that would soon be known to them as time passed on by. "You look better with red anyways," he mumbles as he scratches the back of his neck, a blush creeping up his cheeks. She looks at the boy with utter confusion because how could he find anything of hers nice or enchanting. She thinks she looks awful with her naturally red lips for they reminded her of the blood that would drip from her wrists as she painted another story on her canvas.

"Thanks but I really don't," she whispers as she rocks gently on her heels. He sighs as he realizes how much effort it would take to get her to realize how worthy she is of her life and how beautiful she really was. It disgusted him that people had the audacity to insult an innocent girl when they had no idea what she was going through. It must be hard to deal with all the voices shouting at you in your head as they constantly remind you of your insecurities; as they piece through you, making you slowly lose your sanity as they cut you open. He was determined to help her.