Chapter 6: So Many Questions

"Macy!" I call out to the now limp body splayed out on the grass, shaking her shoulder in urgency. "Macy, please. It's okay, I was never going to hurt you." I spoke softly, holding onto her arm. She begins to move on the grass below, and my anxiety is released with a huge breath of relief as her eyes flutter open.
"Ethan," she sighed as she drifted into consciousness. "Ethan." She said again, once remembering the earlier events.
"You scared the shit out of me." I say, half chuckling.
Her eyes widen and she starts shuffling along the ground, backing away from me. "I don't know what you are, Ethan or what you plan to do, but please don't hurt me!" Macy pleads.
"Mace," I say, giving her a nickname right then and there, as I reach out and place a hand on top of hers in order to try and calm her down. "I'm a vampire." I say without even thinking of the consequences.
"Like Dracula?"
"Yes - like Dracula."
She pauses for a few moments, thinking about what I had just confirmed.
"I don't know whether or not to believe you..." she had stopped moving away from me and cocks her head to the side.
"Jesus Christ, Macy, I had my fangs out and was ready to bite you! I drained that squirrel!" The last thing I needed was for her to think I was crazy... to not believe me.
"That... that's incredible!" She rocked forward onto her chubby knees and lay a hand on my wrist.
"It is?" I ask, looking at her from under the brown hair that had fallen in front of my eyes.
"Ethan, you're a vampire. I thought you were a work of fiction until a minute ago!" Macy insists, closing the gap in between us.
"So... you're not scared of me?" I ask softly.
"I was when you were ready to sink your teeth into me! Never do that again!" She says excitedly.
"I promise, I won't. That's the closest I've ever come to human blood. If you hadn't punched me I don't know if I would have come back to my senses." I say, dropping our eye contact. "How did you learn how to punch like that, by the way?" I ask her again.
"I am a boxer." Macy replies, like it's not a big deal. "So what does it feel like when you go into that trance?"
"Trance?" I say, confused.
"When you were ready to suck my blood, Ethan." She responds like I'm a child.
"I don't know... I sort of just lose control. But it doesn't feel like I'm in my body, if that makes sense." I say, then I realise that this is the first time I've ever tried to think about it.
"Like it's not you controlling your body?" She asks, visibly intrigued.
"I guess..."
"That's incredible! I have so many questions." She says, and the rosy-colour that makes its home on her cheeks fades across her nose.

~

I wake up to an alarm blaring across the room. I mumble and flip to my other side.
It rings on.
"Tomi?" I call out.
No response.
"Tomi! Can you turn that off?" My eyes are wide open now, but still, no answer.
I sit up in my bed and look to the other side of the room. Tomi lies with the covers up to his chin with his legs splayed out, free from the depths of the sheets. His mouth is open, and there's a little bit of drool dripping out of the side of his mouth onto the little wet-patch on his pillow. His dark brown hair is in a tousled mess, sticking out from a myriad of different angles. I smile, and watch him sleep for a few more seconds. He has such raw beauty. I stand up, flicking the blankets off of my bed, and make my way over to his bedside. I reach forward and flick his alarm clock to 'off'. It reads 7:31.
"Tomi." I try again.
"What?" He mumbles without opening his eyes.
"Your alarm was ringing. Do you have a class this morning?" I ask him softly.
"No. Spare." He informs me through an exasperated breath.
"Well why the fuck did your alarm clock go off?" I demand, standing up straight again. His eyes peak open and he looks at me like a little boy.
"I was gonna go for a run." Tomi says quietly.
"Well, go?" I say, questioningly.
"But I don't want to... not now." He argues, half asleep.
Before I even realise I'm doing it, my hands have gripped the edge of his sheets, and yank them off of his body - his naked body. He lunged forward in shock, and my eyes bore over his upper body. I feel my face heat up in embarrassment.
"Jesus, I didn't know you were going to be nude!" I say, turning around to give him privacy.
"It was hot last night!" He says quickly, and I can hear him rustling around.
I stand still for a few more moments before asking, "Are you decent?"
"Are you decent?" He laughs, mocking me. "Yes, I am decent."
I turn around, and see that he has managed to pull on a pair of basketball shorts and a loose Nike tee.
"And with that morning adrenalin, I am actually going to go for a run now." Tomi laughs again, unplugging his charging phone and stuffing it into his pocket.
"Glad I can be of service! To keep you on top of your goals." I joke, half bowing.
He chuckles and walks past me, grabbing the runners he left by the door and sitting down to put them on.
I make my way back to my bed and sit down, watching him.
He finishes with his shoes, and looks up at me. "Well, goodbye from me and the beast." He says, standing up.
"The beast?" I ask, and he gestures down to his crotch.
"Oh my god, you weirdo!" I laugh, and fall back into my bed.
I lay there until I hear the door click shut behind him. Then I sit up and leap for my phone. It comes alight with more notifications than I have ever gotten. Message requests from Macy Lee on Facebook. And all of them are about vampires. I unlock my phone and read the last one she sent. "Can I come over after first period?"
I respond to her with a simple "Sure." Then I give her the info for my room "Harley Mt. 3rd floor, room 5"
I look at the timetable I had stuck to the wall. My first lecture is at 2pm. I have all day.