The reason

Thomas was feeling nervous the next day at school. What he did to Newt broke him into pieces. He had never wanted to hurt him. He would rather kill everyone -including himself- before hurting the blonde. But in the end that's what he did. And he didn't just hurt him once. Thomas had hurt him a lot of times. Sometimes by pushing him against lockers, walls or doors, sometimes by shouting at him or saying something hurtful, sometimes by saying nothing at all and shutting the boy out. But this time he had gone to far. He had hit him.

Thomas didn't expect Newt to forgive him..God he didn't even want to forgive himself, but he wanted to be sure the boy knew he was sorry. He wanted Newt to know how bad he felt for hurting him. Maybe they could be friends ?

Who was he kidding. Thomas didn't want to be friends with Newt. No, he wanted Newt to be his. He wanted him to be his boyfriend. Okay so maybe Thomas was finally admitting it to himself...He was head over heels in love with the blonde. He loved him, and Thomas would fight for him. Newt had fought for him and never gave up, well at least not until now. So he was going to do the same. He was going to fight for the person he loved. And he was not going to give up until he had what he wanted.

He walked into the cafeteria and just sat down at his table. He was too broken and too nervous to eat. He glanced over to where the gladers were sitting, hoping Newt would sit with them, smiling and having fun. But he wasn't. He looked to the table in the corner and his heart broke just that little bit more. Newt was sitting there his head in his hands and shaking uncontrollably. Thomas knew he was crying and looked down at his lap when he felt his eyes burn and tears started to make their way down his cheeks. He had to apologize and he had to do it soon.

After 15 minutes Thomas finally looked up again, wiping away the tears on his cheeks. He felt the urge to look at the blonde again and tried to fight it he knew it would break his heart even more if the boy was still crying. After a few seconds he couldn't help it anymore and glanced over at the brown haired boy. To his surprise Newt was staring right back at him. The bruise on his face still very obvious, his eyes red and puffy. But most of all they didn't shine. The normally cheerful, sparkling eyes, they had no shine, no sparkle, just pain. He watched as Newt took his stuff and left when the bell rang and sighed.

" would you like to tell us what your opinion is on this subject, Newt ?"  Mrs.Jones asked during history. Everybody knew History was Newt's favorite subject. Minho looked over at Newt next to him expecting to see a big grin on the boys face as he began to tell his opinion on the Greeks but instead he slowly looked up at the teacher, not saying anything for a while before clearing his throat.

"I have nothing to say, Mrs. Jones." his voice sounded a little hoarse, Minho didn't think he had heard Newt speak since yesterday when Gally wanted to hurt Thomas. The blonde looked back down, very aware of the shocked looks directed his way.

"Are you sure? you always have a nice story to tell." Mrs Jones tried again, smiling sadly at Minho. Mrs.Jones was the sweetest teacher he had ever had. 

Newt's head shot up. "I told you, Mrs. Jones I don't have anything to tell you. Just go on with this freaking lesson and leave me alone!" he snapped.

Minho looked at Newt in shock. He had never heard the boy snap at a teacher before, he was like the teacher's pet or something. Every teacher loved him. Minho looked back at Mrs. Jones who looked shocked as well but she cleared her throat and continued to tell the class about the Greeks, Glancing at Newt every once in a while, hoping to see any hint of a smile or excitement from the boy, but nothing. he just sat there, looking down.

Newt sighed as he sat down in Glee club that day, he had only joined because Minho had made him. sure he liked to sing and play the piano but Glee club ? He never would have joined if it wasn't for his friends. He sat down as far away from the others as possible. Mr. Duval came in not much later, glancing at Newt before sharing a worried glance with the rest of the Glee club.