Intro

Dragons.

They have been around since the beginning of time. They were made to protect humans and they have. Some are famous for their deeds; others do good from the shadows. Either way, they were sworn to protect the sanctity of human life.

They are immortal, cursed to roam Mother Gaia alone until their mate is born. They receive few years of joy as they live with their mate, but like all mortal things, it must come to an end. This leaves them with the rest of eternity to suffer alone for what crimes nobody but the dragons remember and nobody but the dragons will ever know.

To be in the very presence of a dragon is an honor. To be chosen as a mate is something spectacular. It only happens every couple of centuries. Sometimes there is a big to-do, other times the world is barely aware of the happiness felt by the two people. But when the mate dies, often before their time, everyone knows.

The tortured wails of the dragon reverberate around Mother Gaia and she weeps with him. She is the only force in existence who can truly understand the pain and heartache that every dragon goes through. There are weeks of suffering as Mother Gaia shakes the earth and sends storms and waves to destroy everything in her path. When the grieving ends the dragon returns to his protector duties, never again to outwardly express his grief and pain.

Dragons have many powers and abilities. Fire courses through their veins and allows them to breathe it. They have a human avatar and their pure dragon form. The abilities to teleport and fly, gives them ample opportunity to aid the feeble humans. Combat skills that they have known since they were created are still held a secret and have never been matched by human attempts to imitate them. They remember every second of their lives down to the smallest detail. This assures that they can both rejoice in their past battles and be forever tortured by their past failures.

Dragons are something of a marvel. Forever cursed and shrouded in mystery, they are no doubt the greatest forces ever to be created.