Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Subasi was silently packing in her room, gathering up the last few items she wanted to take with her. Mitsuko was going to take her to see the Elders to officiate their bond, then after that he had planned to take her around Gaia to show her the world.

She was nervous. They had spent almost every waking moment together until today, he had some business to attend to a few towns over and would be there the next morning to ride on the train with her to the Elder Village.

There was a knock at the door and she heard it open. "Are you all packed yet?"

She set a neatly folded shirt into her bag and turned to face her brother. "Almost."

He smiled at her, almost sadly. "You're taking a big step tomorrow."

Subasi sighed and sat on her bed. "I'm so nervous. I can't believe that I'll actually be leaving this place. He's going to take me to see the world." She stared down to her hands. "It's meant to be amazing, but I feel like this is too much, ya know?"

Fatih nodded and sat next to her. "You don't have to go if you don't want to. It's not like you have to follow him everywhere."

"I know that, but I want to."

"You barely know him."

"I know. That's what makes me so nervous."

"Then don't go."

"But I'm also very excited about it!" She pursed her lips to the side and stared at him for a moment. "It almost sounds like you don't want me to go at all."

He shrugged. "I'll miss you. You're my only little sister."

"I have to finish packing." She stood.

"I'll help."

They packed the rest of her stuff, which wasn't much, in silence. Neither speaking until the bag had been zipped shut and placed by the door for easy access in the morning.

"This is it." Fatih sat on the steps to the front porch and stared out over the grass. "This is your last night here. Who knows when you'll be back, if you'll ever be back."

Subasi sat down next to him. "Of course I'll be back. What makes you think that I won't?"

"The life expectancy of a human mate isn't exactly high up there."

"What do you mean?"

He sighed and shook his head. "Nothing, don't listen to what I'm saying. I hope you have a good time on the way to the Elders. Did he say what you're even doing there anyways?"

She shrugged. "Something about an officiating ceremony. It involves some dragons and such. It's more of a formality than anything. Kind of like a wedding."

He scoffed. "Isn't that nice?"

"Of course it is."

"Too bad none of your family can come."

"It's for the dragons, that why we had the wedding here."

He sighed and faced her. "Just promise me that you won't forget about me when you start seeing the world."

"I couldn't, even if I wanted to."

"Why?"

"Because you're my big brother and I love you."

They smiled at each other and hugged. All Fatih could think about was how he could protect her while she was gone and all Subasi could think about was how much she wished he could come with her.